Mojitos in Havana


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
August 12th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After relaxing on the beach in Varadero we got a Lada taxi back to Havana which thankfully made it without any bits dropping off it!

In Havana we stayed in a Casa Particulares which is basically a room in someone´s house. We weren't sure what to expect but the house summed up Havana itself in some ways, a crumbling shell from the outside but inside a beautiful 1930s house with antique furniture and displays of the family heirlooms. It was a bit like visiting an old aunt you don´t see very often, best not to touch anything and try not to make too much noise!!

Havana itself is a dirty, smelly, crumbling, ramshackle and yet amazing place. Everywhere we went people were friendly and helpful (and more importantly brought us Mojitos!) and in more or less every bar in the centre there was a live band playing. Many Mojitos and Cuba Libres were consumed...

Havana has an atmosphere all of its own, the old American cars and people queueing up at the food stalls are typically cliched images but real all the same. There are many contrasts and the gap even now between those who have and those
...get an old bloke with no teeth to light you a cigar!...get an old bloke with no teeth to light you a cigar!...get an old bloke with no teeth to light you a cigar!

His party trick was smoking a cigar backwards (with the lit end in his mouth...)
who don't is wide. They are very proud of the socialist nature of their society and delight in telling you there is "no mafia in Cuba". We might have disagreed on our first day in Havana when a slightly intimidating man with a mouth full of gold teeth made us go into his bar and told us he would be our "father in Havana"! We finished our cocktails and left quickly (but politely!) before any talk of "sleeping with the fishes" began...

Our Spanish has improved slightly, we can now order drinks and (sometimes) other things without having to resort to s-p-e-a-k-i-n-g s-l-o-w-l-y and pointing in that English abroad fashion.

Sorry for the lack of pictures so far, the internet in Cuba is not exactly fast - in fact I could probably draw the pictures and post copies home faster (and more cheaply) than upload them. Hopefully soon we´ll find somewhere with a decent connection.

Hope you are all well.
A & T. xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



20th August 2008

Children
Hi Kids, You never mentioned the Mafia when you called!!!!! Love you both loads... Mum xxxx
23rd August 2008

photos
Hi. Love the photos - hope you haven't decided to smoke cigars all the time though..............
24th August 2008

Requests
I'll take 6 of the cigars and and don't forget the rum!!!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb