Santa Clara - Bella mango!!


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Centro » Santa Clara
October 27th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Santa clara was a breath of fresh(hot) air. The roads are far from crowded the big palm trees the sugar cane and the land so lush and green. Santa Clara is commonly known as ´Che town´! It is where the Che Guvara museum and memorial is and is where the locals say to go visit the ´Big Che´, his statue!
So we went! We were to see later a photo of one of our casa particular hosts carry the casket of Che! He was very proud..... In cuba though you overdose a little on che.
The best way to get around here is by bike or horse and cart. Its amazing to see a country so unspoilt. Our new casa was fantastic...phew...it was a big old colonial building with a really friendly family and a very humourous chef. Its so so so hot here but im not complaining and we have had slowed our place another notch.
Matar and Pepe our hosts come chat with us in the ginormous lounge room about their family and ask many questions about us aswell. In the preferred slow spanish half english language we have become accustomed.
Pepe coaxing us into teasing Elsa their 68 yr old chef(who looks amazing by the way) to liven up dinner with the thunderous torrential rain which pours every afternoon between 3 and 5. W tih a cheeky call of 'Bella Mango' ( because she is sweet and tasty like a mango of course) gets her up dancing round the table singing 'El Quatro de Tula' !! Really funny and feeling right at home. so much so they were happy to shift us around the place whilst doing renovations. This place was our highlight and we stayed a few extra days. We also met a really nice dutch couple staying in the house tambien. She was from holland and he was from the suriname they were great to talk to and hang out with to go watch the typical cuban bands and drink mojitos with. They left soon after and i was left clutching to life with which seemed the worst hangover ive ever had. Air con...air con thank jeebers for air con.
No luck in finding the train museum or the arte museum or the other museum but we did make the tobacco factory. It housed 25 workers rolling at least 100 cuban cigars a day each 5/6 days a week. All for export. We purchased some souveniers wondering the legality in bringing them home or have we oppressed them as like the americans.
Off to Trinidad for some beach axtion xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

santa clarasanta clara
santa clara

the lounge
santa clarasanta clara
santa clara

the balcony
santa clarasanta clara
santa clara

the kitchen


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb