Hiking Nations Road, Pt. 1 the adventure


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.64, -83.17

We had been told there was a great hike up a steep road to the towers above town but were not given exact directions. We knew which way to head and started early (6:15 a.m.) in our quest for the road. Asking questions we finally found our destination.

Directions: Road by the school and soccer field, sign for Canopy tours where you turn left, and soccer school across the street. There is a bus stop where you can catch a ride back to town for 275colones.

The road is steep and you keep climbing up and up. There are some straightaways but it is a very steep and rewarding climb. Because we were hiking in the early morning, we had shade for most of the way up and even on the way down.

Also because of the early morning, we had morpho butterflies everywhere! Tried our hand at getting some pictures and were successful. A good omen as we headed up the trail was the sighting of a linneated woodpecker right as we began. Then there was a troupe of titi/squirrel monkey's to entertain us. From what we have read, they are being threatened by habitat loss and so were glad to see them. Another nice sighting was a toucan sticking head out of a hole in a tree, which we presume was the nest.

We hiked for about three hours and still had not reached the top and ran into some other people hiking. The girl leading was a local guide and she said we were about half way! Because of many factors decided to head back down and give it another try later and be more prepared.




Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

toucan in nest in treetoucan in nest in tree
toucan in nest in tree

good spot Robert!
morpho  butterflymorpho  butterfly
morpho butterfly

spent quite a bit of time trying to capture these butterflies with their wings open........almost impossible to catch them in motion as they glide along


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb