Bike ride to Playa Preciosa


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.53622, -83.3051

Got up very early and headed out to Playa Preciosa. We turned down the road toward the beach and found some monkeys in the tree. Ran into a woman from Austria that comes here every year for about 6 months. She has a lot of environmental projects that she is undertaking in Puerto Jimenez.

It was a great day for birds. Right where we had stopped to look at the monkeys were two linneated woodpeckers moving back and forth amongst some trees. We also saw a flycatcher chasing another flycatcher from the nest, white fronted parrots, toucans and variable seedeaters.

As we were getting ready to continue down the road, Robert spied a roadside hawk. We watched him for quite awhile before we continued on. He evidently was also hunting along the fence posts.

We saw the monkey line that the lady from Austria had helped get put in place. It is a yellow rope that is stretched across the road to keep them from getting run over crossing the street.

The road was very bumpy but the rain has kept the dust down. Bicycled on past the fancy lodges and kept going on the road into the forest. Two dogs came running up and a gentleman came and called the dogs back. He is a builder and is now the general manager for this place set away from many other places. It is a beautiful place and run on solar and generators. There are some beautiful details in the place. Took us up to see the roof garden. All very nice.

Told us we could go down to the beach area in front of their place. They have a palapa where we sat and enjoyed the cool breeze and were rewarded by seeing dolphins out front. We took the beach front road on the way back which was a real beast! The sand was deep and we had to walk the bikes a great deal of the way.

That evening we had a nice visit with the Slovenian family. They shared some interesting stories about the history of their country and how the region has changed over time. Very interesting evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb