Not the Costa Rica they tell you about


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 9.93, -84.08

Some countries never fulfill the promises made by their slick marketing campaigns. Costa Rica does. It has magnificent places of immense natural beauty and an enviable social consciousness. It's savvy enough to pass on having an army so it can spend huge resources on it's remarkable health care and the best education system in Central America.

But as with any country, when you live here you see the warts. The cost of living is so high and the wages so low that every house has iron fences around the property and bars on the windows. Not as much in the country; you see it more in the city.

And don't expect any bargains here--not at the supermarket anyway. Electronics and sporting goods are especially high--we were at a big Home Depot type hardware store yesterday and saw a cooler you'd take on a picnic for $160 US dollars. One that would cost $50 at home.

Knowing that, it's still a beautiful country and attracts a gazillion tourists every year.


Advertisement



7th January 2011

Costa Rica has just been taking off our "Let's go there some day" list.
7th January 2011

Replace it with Panama maybe. So far we love it. Prices are lower and Panama City is as modern as Miami. Let you know later after our tours.
8th January 2011

Seriously, tho...the east coast is not as bad. Don't take it off your list. There were parts of Thailand I didn't love as much as Cahuita! (Excepting the food, of course.)

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb