Vulcan Arenal


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica
November 22nd 2015
Published: October 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 10.4797, -84.7156

We were packed, had breakfast and were ready to head to Arenal by 9:00. The Magellan staff were good to us throughout our stay, several of which had worked there during our previous visit three years ago. When we told Terry that we were headed to Arenal, she highly recommended doing a zipline.

It had rained all night and would rain throughout our drive. Most of the six-hour drive would take us through mostly agricultural areas with crops of corn, sugar cane, papaya orchards and crops unknown. We did have a mountainous area about in the middle of the drive, crossing the top at Aguas Zarcas. Sue and Dave had lunch there on our last trip, but we were making good time and decided to push on to La Fortuna for a late lunch. The rain continued until the last ten miles to La Fortuna where the sun was trying to peak through.

We had lunch at Chifa La Familia Feliz, a Peruvian restaurant that was highly recommended by Frommer's and Trip Advisor. It lived up to the 4 stars! Brennan went with shrimp, Grandma, sea bass with seafood sauce and Grandpa a fish filet in Asian noodles. Feliz greeted us; he loved Sue's Peru t-shirt -- a pure coincidence that she was wearing it.

We walked around and into the church. With the overcast, the gardens were beautiful, but Arenal was not visible. In church we said our prayers of thanks for the rain stopping and that they would continue to be answered. Brennan found and bought a Pura Vida bracelet. We arrived at the Arenal Lodge about 4:00, with the clouds slowly rising, showing us more and more of Arenal.

Arenal Lodge is located above Arenal Lake up a steep private road. There is the main lodge with lobby, dining room, bar (with pool table), game room and a large wood burning fireplace in the center. The front of the lodge faces Arenal with an infinity pool in the forefront, beautiful. After checking into our room, located in one of several buildings offering rooms other than in the main lodge. Ours was a deluxe room with a front bedroom and a smaller one in the back. The front room had a king bed with a picture window facing Arenal -- Brennan said that he would take this one! Not!

After changing, we headed to the infinity pool and one of the hot tubs. We spent about 30 minutes there. After cleaning up, we headed to the main lobby and played Shanghai and then to the lodge dining room for dinner. Brennan had spaghetti with meat sauce, Grandpa a sea bass filet and Sue a fresh heart of palm salad and a bowl of minestrone soup - we were all happy.

Walking back to our room, though dark except for moonlight, Vulcan Arenal was completely clear!!! We were afraid Brennan would never see it. What a great ending to another good day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb