Farewells In San Jose


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Take that Pinata!Take that Pinata!Take that Pinata!

Yvonne using her years of hurling experience
It's been nearly 3 weeks from when I'm writing this since we celebrated Yvonne's birthday in San Jose. A combination of no internet and my chronic laziness led to me not updating my blog for a while!! Alot happens in 3 weeks when you're constantly on the move like we are so remembering specifics of one city you stayed in a while back becomes fiendishly difficult. However, I will do my best to recollect the final 2-3 days of our tour with Intrepid Travel, the end of which would signal the real beginning of our adventure!

We stayed in Gaudy's Hostel on the outskirts of the city about a 40 minute walk from the main center. It was an ok place, near to a large super market and with all the usual freebies; wi-fi, pool table, tv area with dvd's and free breakfast consisting of nice little pancakes and coffee. Not the ideal place to get a sound nights sleep but great place to waste a couple of hours if you're just waiting for a flight etc.

Yvonne celebrated her birthday here on the last day of our tour group. In fairness to Intrepid they got her a very
Big fat sculptureBig fat sculptureBig fat sculpture

Unusual statue on main street of san jose
nice chocolate cake and set up a pinata for her to bash open with the handle of a brush much to everyones amusement. It would be the last night that everyone on the tour would be together, some of them had been travelling together since Mexico (50 days ago!) so there were a few teary farewells. Others seemed delighted to be getting home! We made plans to meet up with some of the gang who were continuing their travels into Panama like us.

The main street of San Jose is mostly pedestrianized once you get into the proper shopping area. Its pretty standard fare really, the indoor market we were in was quite cool. Its huge and has multiple entrances and sells everything from huge bowls of jelly, fruit and ice cream to t-shirts and pottery. It can get a bit disorientating once your in there so bring a map!

Even though we spent 2 days here I dont have much more to say on the place. Its a city, its gor shops aplenty and a few nice squares with dirty pigeons and pioneering lo locals selling useless touristy gifts. Maybe we missed out on something amazing but
Smooth ColonalSmooth ColonalSmooth Colonal

Yvonne falling for the charms of the Colonel
I doubt it...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Endangered breadEndangered bread
Endangered bread

Turtle bread in a bakery


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb