June 1sr


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

This day was another beach day – in order for Lauren and Daniel to have their surfing lessons at last at noon.

It wasn’t very sunny in the morning but it was still lovely and warm and the ocean is amazingly warm. No one lost glasses or hats or goggles today, but the waves sure were high! We had stopped beforehand at the supermarket and for lunch we had a very typical Costa Rican sandwich of white bread, cheese, and a spread of refried beans. To me it tasted a bit like braunsweiger. It hit the spot. The kids did really well in their 2 hour lesson, which took place in the last 3’ of water. Just like yesterday, the shelf of the beach went on forever, very sandy, and we never felt a drop off. Just as their lesson finished, the REAL surfers started arriving, as it was now approaching high tide.

We then enjoyed some time in the cute little "infinity" pool until it started raining in earnest.

We rested, did laundry, and played a hilarious game of charades before dinner. It actually rained gently the entire afternoon.

We then had the most wonderful dinner – at a very small and intimate open air restaurant that provided Spanish foods: stuffed avocados, some sort of amazing potatoes, mushrooms in garlic sauces for appetizers, and then David and I shared a paella; others had huge shrimp and other tasty entrees. We also shared a delicious sangria – the best we’ve ever had. Besides our table of 6, there were only 3 other tables of 4 and 3 of 2. We heard them turn a couple away. It was an open kitchen and the smells very tempting.

Still raining as we left in the dark to drive home.

What did we learn today: how to surfboard a little, what a Tico sandwich is, that charades with only animals can be really funny, and that surfers wait for “marine waves” for the best surfing.

Another long and fulfilling day of discovery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb