Santa Teresa--Surfers, Iguanas and Howler Monkeys


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Entrance to the SecretEntrance to the SecretEntrance to the Secret

Jim, Kathleen, Quinn and Willa stop for a second at the entrance to the secret beach.
Geo: 9.65, -85.1833

Snaking thin along the coast sit lots of dusty beach towns--towns only in the loosest sense. More accurately, they're a string of restaurants, mini markets and bikini shops with a soccer field and school thrown in for the locals.

But Santa Teresa on the Nicoya Peninsula doesn't disappoint, all the same.

At the peak of the tourist season it's hot, dusty, expensive and vibrant. It ROCKS.

The guys are buff, the girls fit and everyone's in bikinis. There are enough surf boards to stretch across the country and no one's over 30, so if you're young and can go out dressed in strings without embarrassing yourself, this is your kind of place.

But like Bob says, after a while they all look the same. The girls are all as big around as your thumb and the guys are all muscle. That's what happens when you get old.

We're renting a house with Kathleen and Jim and the two kids--Willa who's almost 2 and Quinn, who's almost 4. They're both cuter than cute and extremely entertaining. And they LOVE the beach and playing in the waves. They're so fun.

Fortunately our place is well off the dusty street because everything close is coated with a coat of brown. Some of the Ticos have taken to wearing surgical masks or scarves over their faces when they're on the road because the dust is so thick it makes it hard to breathe.

It doesn't seem to faze the 20-somethings.

Our place is in a nice location though. We have a friendly iguana that visits us each day--sometimes even running around on the tin roof, and every morning we wake to howler monkeys in the trees overhead.

Our landlord told us of some great places to go. Sunset Beach--turn left at the fishing village and go to the end of the road then stop at village on the way out for the day's catch. And where to get gelato--guess you don't need much else.

But the deal is, Sunset Beach gets so few visitors that she calls it the secret beach. Hence, we were off to the Secret Beach and wow, what a beautiful place. It was perfect.

We have had the most awesome dinners with all this fresh fish available. Jim grilled up some fresh-that-morning Red Snapper one night and the next we had grilled mahi mahi fish tacos. My goodness they've fed us well.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Shade SitterShade Sitter
Shade Sitter

Bob's not much of a fan of the ocean, but he's always a good sport.


7th January 2011

you know how to pick a beach. it's beautiful.
8th January 2011

Oh Becky, I was sure wishing all 9 of my grandkids were there to play in the wonderful warm waves with us. It was as fun as it was beautiful and could only have been more fun if ya'll were there, too.
8th January 2011

Crap! I shouldn't have looked @ these pics today, they make me ill! I love costa rica...glad you're enjoying all that sun, & water, & loveliness....
8th January 2011

Right. The Caribbean side is very different. More laid back and calm, not so overrun with us outsiders. But then we were there in a totally different time, too. The thing is, the very things that make the Pacific side so attractive are the
very things that keep it overrun: proximity to San Jose, climate, accessibility, beauty.
8th January 2011

I love those beach almond trees!
8th January 2011

Is THAT what they are? They have leaves as big as a fiscus?? Is that what I'm thinking of?
10th September 2011

The secret Beach is wonderfull. Also in low tide you can snorkel or fish.
10th September 2011

Oh man--reading your comment redpalmvillas, made me go back and re-look at all those pictures again. That place was so fairy-land like. And as it turned out, it was the only day in our whole 3 month trip that we got to just sit on the beac
h and enjoy the waves.
15th January 2012

Beautiful sunset picture!
2nd September 2013

The hidden beach is a great place to spend with family and friends.
2nd September 2013

Beautiful sunset!
3rd September 2013

Thank you. It was a fun weekend.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb