Costa Rica Part 1: Volcan Poas and The Osa!


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

April 15
Costa Rica was quite a different experience to Cuba, as we were more focused on seeing the flora and fauna of the country, rather than the culture There is a dual currency system operating in CR, colones and US dollars, 1 USD=500 colones, so initially we found it hard to get our heads around it, a coffee might cost 1000 colones or more! In the morning we took the bus up to Volcan Poas, an active volcano near Alajuela, some 2600m above sea level. The public bus went almost all the way up to the crater! We were lucky to see the Crater as later on the mist closed in. Some nice walks around the National Park, which was very green and lush. The drive up and down the mountain was also very scenic, as there are a lot of coffee plantations and crops on the mountainsides.

April 16
Off early to the airport, which is in Alajuela, for the short flight down toPuerto Jiminez on the Osa Peninsula in a 10 seater plane! A few bumps on the way, but great views over the landscape. Got to PJ at 9, very hot and humid. Had to wait a few hours for the collectivo, so went down to the beach, saw lots of scarlet macaws and other birds, very exciting! The collectivo (a 4wd truck with 2 bench seats on the back) was full with locals and tourists, what a bumpy ride,road was corrugated dirt and very dusty, with several fords, but fun! It took about 2 hours to go about 45 km to Carate, but the locals entertained us on the way, their humour increasing with the amount of alcohol consumed! Bonus - saw squirrel monkeys in the trees at the drinks stop. Got to the Lookout Inn, a lovely spot high above the road, surrounded by trees, and heaps of birds. Our room for the next 3 days was the Jungle Hut, set high above the vegetation, open with no windows, great views over the greenery out to sea. Joined the other guests at Happy Hour, Americans and Canadians, fairly quiet with only about a dozen guests. Dinner was buffet style on the top deck looking out to the ocean. Lookout is run by Terry and Katya, and it is their home as well as a guest house, so not like a hotel at all. There is no electricity after dark, as the generator is turned off so everyone goes to bed about 8, but up with the sun the next day!

April 17
Up about 6, breakfast was a nice array of fruit, beans and rice, eggs and French toast, and joined by Erma, a scarlet macaw (wild but a regular guest) and some humming birds. Took the shady lane walk in the morning to the waterfall, had a dip under the falls to cool off - saw spider and capuchin monkeys, birds and red bush squirrels. Back for buffet lunch on top deck, where we were entertained by 2 large iguanas! Rest after lunch, then a swim in the ocean which is quite rough and strong so j in the allows, then into the pool to cool off again! Ve and humid place! Late afternoon, I got sick, a 24 hour bug, so stayed in the cabin, and we cancelled ououting for tomorrow.

April 18
Had a slow day, me feeling tired but better, relaxed in the hammocks in the morning, rained heavily over lunchtime, took a walk down the beach, then climbed up the Stairway to Heaven in the afternoon, nice walk down through rainforest, saw a toucan. Back to eating normally, fortunately as it was fresh fish for tea and even managed happy hour tonight!

April 19
Up at 5am and off for our hike in Corcovado National Park with Elias, our guide for the day. A 3km walk along the beach before you reach the park, then we walked through rainforest for about 7 km before turning back, 21 km in all but no uphill! Saw lots of wildlife, anteaters, one of them chasing a capuchin monkey, spider monkeys, a black cat, macaws, song thrush and other birds, blue butterflies, a boa constrictor, deer, poison dart frog and 2toed sloth. Sadly, no sign of the tapir today although we saw its prints and trail. The trail itself was beautiful, such a lot of varied flora as well as the wildlife. Elias was a great guide, we wouldn't have spotted anything much without him! And he has been to NZ! Got back to base at 2pm, time for a cuppa and chat to Susan and Chris from San Fran, we had enjoyed their company very much over the 3 days, said our goodbyes to Terry, Katya and the staff. What an amazing place to stay! Took the 4pm collectivo to Puerto Jiminez, which was packed with tourists returning from day hiking, 22 of us altogether! A rough trip back as there had been rain since Tuesday. Port Jimmy, as some of the locals call it, reminded us of an outback or frontier town, small, but with a beautiful harbour. Off to Arenal tomorrow....


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 25


Advertisement





Tot: 0.435s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.2011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb