Matapalo- Dana's Surfing Paradise


Advertisement
Published: October 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Surfing Paradise! Yesterday Dana was telling me his ideal vacation spot would be in a remote location with rustic living conditions and few other people to share the waves with while surfing.
Today we found it! Dana met a Swiss architect who was renting out a big house by himself for a few months and invited us to stay with him.

Our answer of course, was yes!

To get out there you had to sit or stand in the back of a semi truck crammed full of up to 50 people for an hour drive on the worst roads in Costa Rica (or possibly anywhere). You also had to bring all your food and water. Our eggs didn’t make it.

The house had 2 stories, 2 rooms. We slept on the top floor which was an open room with beds and a bathroom in which a family of bats slept in during the day (cute but smelly little guys who dove at your face if you startled them). The first floor was the kitchen and another few beds.
It was an ocean front property and Dana and Patrick would walk straight out through our yard to surf. I spent my days here visiting waterfalls, fishing for dinner and lazing in a hammock we set up on a peninsula over hanging the water on the front of our property, which could only be reached during low tide. It was perfect for reading and taking photos of them surfing. Dana had mentioned to his friends from Nicaragua the name of the place we were staying and they randomly showed up then next day! They were really fun guys and we had some good poker games over rumin the evenings. We spent 6 days in this little haven and were sad to leave it.

Every morning we would wake to the sunrise over the ocean at 6am and to the sound of howler monkeys in the trees in front of our house screaming as the sun came up. There were lots of wild life here, birds, monkeys, and other animals I have no idea what to call. Our final day we went to the national park and had a nice 8 hour hike. Beautiful area, and very remote.

From Corcovado we went directly to Panama City!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb