Rod´s Turn


Advertisement
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well I guess it is my turn at this bloggy thing. Let me start with, wow what a country. With the warm climate, rainforests, beaches, jungles, abundant wildlife, relaxed Tico culture and ease of travelling it would be difficult not to enjoy your time here. With a country that is nearly 25% protected, no military and a booming eco-tourism industry it should be an example to nations around the world.
As you have heard from Ang things having going well with loads of sights so far and plenty of chillin as well. Started with some beach time on the Caribbean coast and now into the central plains and mountains. It is nice to travel with no set times just taking as we wish and getting comfortable with the towns we are in. Angela has settled in and is feeling much more comfortable after the obvious initial trebidations (which in turn helps me feel mucho mas relaxo).
We have recently spent a few days in the small town of La Fortuna at the base of Volcan Arenal. The impressive cone rising high above the surrounding hillside and consitent small reminders of it´s ongoing activity the volcano is an incredible attraction to come visit. A massive eruption took place in the 60´s killing dozens and burying a small town. Rumbling is often heard and minor eruptions can be seen at night with molten rock cascading down the volcano´s slopes. Pretty damn cool!! From this small town we have taken a guided tour in the National park which encompasses the volcano seeing many interesting birds, coati, sloths and spider monkeys and the rapidly growing successional rainforest vegetation. Volcano country also offers the added bonus of hotsprings many of which are now enclosed in high priced resorts but we found a great little hot water creek just outside of a resort with a nice pool for soaking (stick it to the man). We have also done plenty of walking and made it to a local swimming hole just outside of town with a rope swing over a picture perfect river with little waterfalls and a deep pool for swimming and rock diving.
Have met many great people, locals and travellers and our Spanish is slowly (despacio) coming along, we are looking into taking a week long course maybe when we get to Nicaragua.
Well time to go pack the bags as we are heading off to Monteverde today for some canopy tours, zip-lining and hiking in the cloud forest.

Pura Vida,
Roderico y Angelita


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th February 2007

Stick'n it to da man!
Hey there you two! thank you for adding a little colour and natural beuty to my otherwise hum drum school life. Sounds like you're having a great time, spanish is coming along well! I've never seen nor heard of a coatis before... crazy look'n citter! What is it related to? Scott

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb