Manuel Antonio National Park


Advertisement
Published: December 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last night was wonderful. Walt and I totally enjoyed the awesomeness that is this hostel (Wide Mouth Frog in Quepos) after our debacle of trying to find accommodations for 2 hours. We enjoyed the pool, made dinner in the shared kitchen, and ate at one of the long picnic tables in the common eating area. This morning we enjoyed the free breakfast of rice and beans, toast, and porridge too!

This morning we were off to the bus station fairly early to catch the 50 cent bus the 20 minutes to Manuel Antonio. Once there, we walked to the entrance of the park and waited in a line to enter. Word to other travelers: get there early! Park opens at 7am and only lets 800 people in at a time, so then it's one in-one out. We got there around 8:30, and didn't get in and walking until about 9am.

We spent about 4 hours in the park. We hiked the many trails and also had time to stop and take a swim in the ocean at one of the many BEAUTIFUL beaches in the park.

We also saw a ton of wildlife! We were lucky again to come up on other tour groups who had spotted things. Within the first 5 minutes, we were staring at a three-toed sloth. We saw another of these at the end of our journey as well. Very cool animals that totally move as slow as they say. Also saw this weird tail-less squirrel looking thing that I've looked up online and identified as an Agouti. We saw many howler monkeys, as well as the Capuchin monkeys (like the one Ross has on Friends). When we were on the beach, the Capuchin monkeys (as well as two huge raccoons) came out onto the beach and started trying to steal food from people's bags. We got some good, up-close photos, but I was also swatting at a monkey with my towel, as he tried to grap my backpack. lol.

Was a good hike. We have hiked so much this last week. I have a really horrible blister on my pinky toe that I thought would be fine with a band-aid but it was quite sore by the end of today.

We stopped at a restaurant for sushi (me) and chicken teriyaki (Walt) and then came back on the very crowded and
Manuel Antonio BeachesManuel Antonio BeachesManuel Antonio Beaches

There were FAR nicer than the public beach!
very HOT bus to the hostel, where we are now relaxing by the pool. Finally getting some real reading in, and just feeling awesome about relaxing and nothing more.

Sent an e-mail to the Costa Linda Backpackers hostel, telling them how unprofessional it was that they "lost" our reservation and that I would not be recommending their hostel to ANY of my traveling friends. Got a response today, offering us free dinner at the hostel's restaurant to make up for it. We may just take them up on that, although it doesn't change the fact that I still wouldn't recommend them. Wide Mouth Frog is DEFINITELY the way to go!

Tomorrow I may try to find scuba diving while Walt wants to go fishing. Not sure I can scuba dive, as silly me left my PADI certification at home in Tegus. Hoping maybe they can just look me up in a system or something? We'll see.

Anyways, we're enjoying our journey. LOTS of cool things have happened and we've been blessed with all the great things we've come across.

Pura Vida!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Tourists!Tourists!
Tourists!

taking pics of the monkeys in the nearby trees
Capuchin Monkey!Capuchin Monkey!
Capuchin Monkey!

These guys had NO fear


28th December 2009

Oh adventurous travel!
Hey Sarah! WOW...I must say you have had quite the amazing journey...even with the obstacles along the way, you have undoubtedly made the best of your opportunities and the results have been super! YAY! Enjoy the rest of your holidays and keep the stories coming...may the rest of your travels be filled with only happy days!!
28th December 2009

Sounds Great
Sounds like you having another great time. Again I am envious. I'm heading to Cuba on Jan. 10/10. Hope to do some diving there. Sheila dives too so that would be neat. Anyway, keep having fun and sending your blogs. Love you. Uncle Wayne
28th December 2009

Awesome
Wow - it just keeps sounding better for you guys - I can wait to see photos. Missed you at Christmas - just wasn't the same Love Mom

Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb