Monteverde and Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserves - or Bust - it could have been a bust


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Puntarenas » Jaco
February 28th 2013
Published: February 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Two days ago we decided that we would go for an adventure to another rain forest - and if we got lost - well so be it. Then we changed our mind and decided that we would leave our car at the Hilton in Puntarenas, where it would be safe, and take a bus. However, when we arrived at the Hilton the young lady assured me that it would be a much better idea to drive ourselves - so that we could stop and take pictures etc. that you would need to go slow on some parts but no problem - BIG MISTAKE. Firstly, the bus only cost about 5.00 round trip so based on that alone we, or should I say, I should have not co-erced CC into taking the car and we should have stuck to our plan. The thing is we knew we would need to stay the night so it made some sense to us to have the freedom to come and go as we pleased.

The first thing we did was we got lost trying to leave town - and our mileage gauge did not work so we could not work by distances. We stopped and asked directions MANY times on the way to Monteverde and after taking a few wrong roads and finally believing we were on the right one, ended up taking the wrong road in the end anyway. By the way, I now the correct way to go for all the good it does me. While the road most often travelled is not the best, it is not that bad but you do need to go slow.

The first night we took a night hike into the jungle which was really fun and very interesting due mostly to the fact that we had this awesome guide. We got to see the animals that are nocturnal, which there are many that are. My camera does not take good pictures at night so unfortunately I didn't get any.

On arriving we found this place for 50.00 a night - which I had not previously researched before going - we just took almost the first place we saw. This price included a complete breakfast. The thing is that it was SO windy during the night we thought that the wind would blow the roof right off the structure and it was questionable about what we would find the next morning.

When we did get up we wandered around the small town, waiting for the wind to die down or some sign from God as to whether or not we should sign up for a tour that involved expansion bridges - part of a canopy tour high above the trees. I am so glad that we did end up going; however we went to Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve because they had the tour we most liked.

Santa Elena is a 310 hectare or 765 acre reserve elevation of 1,680m or 5,510 feet which is the highest elevation i the area. We took the sky walk that has bridges that reach 39m or 128ft in the air. They also had some awesome zip lining there but I'll go to a different place yet I think.

The rain forest was an interesting adventure, and we arrived home in the late afternoon ready for a nice shower, drink and dinner, where went to Carra Lodge which is a place to go to see birds and butterflies in the area. We met someone who will be travelling to Waskesui to attend a dragonfly workshop - he is from Virginia - go figure.

It was good to get back to our Casa where we had a leisurely swim and got to listen to bull frogs again.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



28th February 2013

Very interesting - to bust or not..
Those are not "bull" frogs. We had these lovely singing creatures in St. Maarten. They really are tree frogs, you know, the lovely green tiny frogs that have the little bubbles on the end of the toes. On Discovery Channel the toe bubbles are coloured. WE had a run in with the tiny deadly tree frog creature one night when John didn't see it there - and put his hand on it . The frog was unmoved but John screamed and did the " Oh yuck! I can't believe I touched it, brruck!!!" Dance. So funny! They are small, took a picture of the beast to remember. Glad you are having fun. We are back last night - great time too. Love and take care CF + CC.
28th February 2013

Rain forest
Interesting vegetation! Hey! Trying to find your way to the rain forest was a big no-no. Remember how we just about got lost on Gili T, an island that was maybe a mile or so long? And we were walking...we are directionally challenged. It seems that CC suffers from the same malady!
1st March 2013

lots to see and do
Hi Fay - well you really seem to be making the most of your visit to CR - you have already seen more than I have (I have been several times). I am curious to hear about Monteverde, we talked about going this year, when we went to Arenal - we were told the road is terrible! So we didn't bother...Arenal is fabulous though, the lake is beautiful and the hot springs are awesome. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb