COSTA RICA AND CROSSING THE ISTHMUS OF PANAMA TO COLUMBIA


Advertisement
Published: October 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

SOMBREROSSOMBREROSSOMBREROS

Beautiful array of local lids.
Costa Rica leads the world in biodiversity and this is evident in the exceptional numbers of exotic wildlife. It has the largest percentage of protected land and sanctuaries and was among the first countries to offer ecotourism. With the demise of the coffee oligarchy and independence from Spain, Costa Rica set out on the path to establishing a democracy which granted right to work, minimum wage and maximum work hours for laborers. Now Costa Rica is probably the most stable of Latin American countries and has the highest standard of living.It has become a favorite retirement place for many North Americans.

We were scheduled to take our Virtuoso group on a tour of Carara National Park and the botanical garden of Pura Vida. Shortly after docking we set off in mini buses to the Guacalillo Estuary. In Costa Rica there are two seasons: the rainy season and the less rainy season. Because of all the precipitation the dirt roads leading to the estuary were a maze of pot holes which the drivers managed to navigate quite well. At the estuary we boarded a large pontoon boat to cruise up the Tarcoles River in search of the indigenous flora and fauna.
GINGERGINGERGINGER

Pura Vida Jardin bloom.
Mangroves line the river and are home to a plethora of unique animals. We saw howler monkeys, bay crocodiles, numerous bird species and the Jesus Christ lizard. They are so named because they can walk on water. It was a lovely cruise up the river with the knowledgeable guides who used laser pointers to help us spot the wildlife along the banks of the river.

We had a nice lunch at Jardin Pura Vida and were entertained by a local troupe of dancers. Afterward we took a hike thru the gardens to view the tallest waterfalls in Costa Rica and the colorful floral displays. The rain held off until we were back on our buses returning to the Mariner. Lucky us!

As we approached the Gulf of Panama the ship had to slow to a crawl to avoid running into the whales that breed in the area. But that didn’t delay our entry into the Canal at sunrise to begin our all day transit. This is one of our favorite cruises because the history of this monumental engineering feat is so intriguing. Explorers had been dreaming of a waterborne shortcut for centuries and many failed attempting to link
    EL CAPITAN    EL CAPITAN EL CAPITAN

Handsome young Costa Rican boat driver led us thru the mangroves.
the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The French engineer of the Suez Canal, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his friend Gustave Eiffel went bankrupt in the process and were indicted by the French government for fraud and mismanagement. More than 25,000 workers died during the canal’s construction mostly due to malaria. Now with the Panama Canal Expansion project recently completed, the passage is a boon to worldwide shipping and commerce. Ships are lifted 85 feet through many sets of locks in order to pass over the Continental Divide. The cost for our ship is $165,000 and was paid a year ago in order to guarantee our date and time of passage. The whole process is amazing and all the passengers received a Certificate of Transit as a memento.

Visiting Cartagena, Colombia is like stepping into a Spanish village in Europe. She comes complete with castles, fortresses, convents and cathedrals, a walled city with cobblestone streets and colorful courtyards. There is a history of the brutal colonization of the area. Known for its abundance of gold, silver and emeralds, privateers and conquistadors marauded through the country for centuries. There are now museums in Cartagena explaining the impact of the inquisition and slave
WADERWADERWADER

One of 850 exotic bird species in Costa Rica.
trade which occurred in Colombia.

We took a walking tour of the old walled town which is now filled with street artists and vendors, sculptures and statues. There are 11 kms of thick walls surrounding the city which now house souvenir shops filled with various local crafts and coffee products. The Colombian novelist, Gabriel Garcia Marquez had a home in Cartagena and is quite revered especially for his writing and journalistic efforts. My favorite book written by this Nobel Prize winner is set in Cartagena: “Love in the Time of Cholera."

We sailed out past the high-rises and beaches of Bocagrande as we departed South America heading through the Caribbean non-stop for the U.S.A.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

DANCERSDANCERS
DANCERS

These young boys and girls twirled around our restaurant during lunch.
HOWLER MONKEYHOWLER MONKEY
HOWLER MONKEY

Photo by Paulo B. Chaves via Wikipedia
THE FALLSTHE FALLS
THE FALLS

The steam is from fog ascending in the river valley.
WOOD WORKWOOD WORK
WOOD WORK

Beautiful hand painted Costa Rican furniture.
MYRT AND CHUCKMYRT AND CHUCK
MYRT AND CHUCK

Enjoying the cruising life.
GEORGETTE & JOHNGEORGETTE & JOHN
GEORGETTE & JOHN

Captured on a beautiful night while dining on La Veranda.
MIRAFLORES LOCKSMIRAFLORES LOCKS
MIRAFLORES LOCKS

Two commercial vessels await their lock opening.
PANAMAPANAMA
PANAMA

The locks work continuously, day and night, 365 days a year.
THE VIRTUOSO HOSTSTHE VIRTUOSO HOSTS
THE VIRTUOSO HOSTS

We pose in front of a Dutch car carrier in the canal lock.
MULESMULES
MULES

These steam trains are called 'mules.' They use steel cables attached to the ships during their transit.
LINE HANDLERSLINE HANDLERS
LINE HANDLERS

This method of retrieving the ships' lines is unchanged over the years.
BILL & RIKKIBILL & RIKKI
BILL & RIKKI

Memphis bon vivants enjoying life at sea.
CASTILLO SAN FELIPE de BARAJASCASTILLO SAN FELIPE de BARAJAS
CASTILLO SAN FELIPE de BARAJAS

Fortress guarding Cartagena
JO ANNE AND NICKJO ANNE AND NICK
JO ANNE AND NICK

Visiting Cartagena
CARTAGENACARTAGENA
CARTAGENA

The streets are lined with brightly colored buildings.
LA GORDITALA GORDITA
LA GORDITA

Sculpture by Botero
LA PUERTA DE CARTAGENALA PUERTA DE CARTAGENA
LA PUERTA DE CARTAGENA

One of the many unique doors in the town.
POP TOP ARTPOP TOP ART
POP TOP ART

She created her art with soda can pop tops.
COLOMBIAN ARCHTECTURECOLOMBIAN ARCHTECTURE
COLOMBIAN ARCHTECTURE

An example of the classic forms in Cartagena.
FINGER PAINTERFINGER PAINTER
FINGER PAINTER

He knocked out a finger painting on a mirror in minutes and we bought it for $7.
BREAK DANCERSBREAK DANCERS
BREAK DANCERS

These boys appeared on the street and put down some great moves to boom box music.
IT'S A DOG'S LIFEIT'S A DOG'S LIFE
IT'S A DOG'S LIFE

Just a reminder to keep Cartagena's streets clean.


13th October 2016

great pics
i stay at the Red Rock one of your sponsors Great place
13th October 2016

Navy!
Navy beat #6 Houston! It must be the seaweed! Hurricane Matthew did a number on S. Catolina blocking I-95 and slowing our efforts to return to FL. Gotta get to Costa Rica! Enjoy!
14th October 2016

Panama Canal
I visited the new locks last year - before they were operational. Sliders not swingers. Got to drive over the locks while under construction. Huge works. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing being functional when we go through there in January on the Explorer. Don't know if you know that Mike's brother just passed away a few days ago. He had been ill for some time but it is still hard to accept. Mike and Sherry are trying to recover.

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb