Corcavado Reserve


Advertisement
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This is a special little place, in the undiscovered wilderness of Costa Rica. It is remote, isolated and has little to no development, and therefore, very much off the beaten path. To get there, after several bus rides, you take a boat to a small town as there are no roads. This tiny boat, so full that the water was only inches below the sides, did ok until we came out of the river mouth and into the open ocean where there were enormous waves crashing over us. The driver was pretty amazing and managed to get us there in one piece, although all my belongings were soaked. We stayed in a little cabina on top of a hill where we had wicked views of the ocean and could watch whales breaching with their babies. Our Dutch friends from Manual Antonio were with us as and were great company.

The first day we trekked around the peninsula just off the beach. We ate wild oranges, limes and coconuts fresh from the trees. For a lunch break we set up hammocks on a point which had only palm trees and short grass that looked like a golf course from a distance,
The riverThe riverThe river

This photo was taken at sunset on our wild boat ride.
but was natural when you got up close. We saw 2 snakes that day, one of which was being attacked by a tiny bird!

The second day Dana and I went off on our own and kayaked up a river through the jungle. We had to portage our way around several rapids but the ride back was well worth it! It was so peaceful and quiet, just us and the monkeys, birds, and caymen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

KayakingKayaking
Kayaking

Planing how to lift the kayak over these rapids


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb