La Tortuga Feliz


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

There is another project on the island, and they are called Quilonios, or however its spelled. They are a self sustained farm and they barely have anything. They help out with us from time to time, but they are never reliable. Anyways, we had a meeting with them today, and talked about measuring rainfall and temperature everyday. We also went over how to measure baby turtles, the length, width, and weight. In the afternoon, we had hatchery training, showing us what to do just in case a nest comes in while we are on shift,etc. After that we had nest digging training, and I must say, digging a leatherback nest isn't close to being easy. It was quite tricky. For those, we dig down 70 cm and then dig another 30 or 35 cm inwards, to make the boot shaped. Green turtle nests are much easier, digging down 60 cm and then making a bowl shaped. Everybody got very sandy from head to toe! I jumped right into the ocean as soon as it was over!! I went patrolling again that evening at 8, but we did not see anything, as well as the other groups.

Advertisement



16th July 2010

Wow, sounds exhilerating, nest digging and hatchery training...sounds fun.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb