Jake and the Bicycles


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jake VanJake VanJake Van

Our local go-to guy with a truck.
Yesterday we hired a local ex-pat named Jake Van to take us into Tamarindo and pick up some used bicycles. We scored four nice bikes with baskets, bought some locks and chain oil and threw them in the back of Jake's pickup truck. I'm sure that Charlie is happy that his buddies back home won't see him riding a bike with a basket, but they are sure to come in handy as we try to stay car-less for as long as possible. Actually, I can't believe I just said "we scored four nice bikes with baskets" with enthusiasm. I must be getting old!

We also grabbed four SIM cards for $6 each. We now have our unlocked Canadian cell phones working here with super cheap Costa Rican plans. Most importantly, we can now stay in touch with the kids as they begin to make friends and start to explore the area more widely on their own. Charlie has already been invited to a party this weekend along with some of his classmates. It's about an hour away in Playa Negra which makes it an overnighter. We're a bit nervous and at this point, not sure what we'll decide but I'm
Biking to Friojoles Locos Surf ShopBiking to Friojoles Locos Surf ShopBiking to Friojoles Locos Surf Shop

Cher on the road to the surf shop.
sure it will all work out. Pura Vida!

Cher and I tested our bikes today, going for a nice but dusty ride down the dirt road to Frijoles Locos Surf Shop . We made arrangements with the owner, Ian, to come back to the shop on Saturday to pick out two used surf boards and two boogie boards. I can't wait to start spending evenings and weekends in the surf!

The dusty road brought on a mighty thirst and we rode down to the Ripjack Inn for a couple of cold Imperials. This is a really fun surf hotel/restaurant (and yoga spot) located just a few steps from the beach. The restaurant is on the second floor, with no walls and a nice view of the surrounding "dry tropical forest" and beach. After drinking our beer I convinced Cher to ride home on the beach. It was low tide and supposedly perfect timing to ride on some hard-packed sand. Turns out, it's a lot of hard work riding on hard packed sand!! With sore legs and knees, we finally cut through a beach path that ran through someone's backyard and out to the street. With thoughts of our pool only a block
Biking on the beach at low tide.Biking on the beach at low tide.Biking on the beach at low tide.

I love how deserted these beaches are!
away, we raced home for a refreshing swim.

Anyway, back to Jake and his own bike story. The picture of Jake is from his wedding. He's been living here for ten years, trying his hand at various local tourism businesses and eventually marrying a pretty Nicaraguan woman who was the chef at the restaurant where he was bartending. Up until recently Jake was running the local Caja Azul "Liquor Store and Scooter Rental". I'm taking a wild guess here but apparently, combining liquor sales and scooter rentals was an idea that looked better on paper than it did in practice. Jake recently gave up the scooter rentals after having far too many clients call him from the hospital after crashing their scooters. His newest venture is tow-in surfing with a gas powered winch. This is where you hold onto a tow line (like a really long water-ski rope) which is pulled in by a gas powered winch on the beach. It's kind of like getting pulled by a boat towards the shore. It allows you more freedom to ride up and down and across the face of the wave.

So anyway, flash back to ten years ago and there was nothing but farms, dirt roads and a few surf-related businesses here in Playa Grande. There was nowhere to purchase a bicycle and Jake couldn't afford a car. He eventually found a bike for sale in Santa Cruz - a town that is maybe a 50 minute car ride from Playa Grande on a good day. After purchasing his bike, Jake started on the 6 hour ride back home, through rain and mud. He finally made it as far as Tamarindo and decided to shave another hour off his trip by crossing the estuary with his bike. (Tamarindo and Playa Grande are separated by a large estuary ). During low tide, it is possible to walk/swim across if you pick the right spot at the right time. You also have to be aware of crocodiles, sting rays and the current.

Jake proceeded to head into the water with his 80 lb, clunky bike, held above his head. A few steps in and he was soon struggling with the current and literally, in over his head. The current finally knocked him off his feet and he dropped his bike into the water. He managed to continue to hold onto his bike while bobbing up and down for air, slowly propelling himself toward the far bank. With grim determination, and maybe a bit of panic, he managed to make it to the far shore and ride the rest of the way home with his hard-earned bicycle. A week later, it was completely covered in rust from immersion in the salt water of the Pacific. Ever the entrepreneur, he cleaned up the bike and sold it for a $120 profit. It's a fun story and if you need to find a moral in it, it's something like "don't bring a knife to a gun fight", or more accurately, "don't bring a bike to a boat crossing". Nowadays, you can get a ride across the estuary on a nice safe boat for about $2. I'm sure they'll take your bike if you ask nicely :- )

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb