Tilaran


Advertisement
Published: June 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Tamarindo we decided to head to Monteverde. 3 buses and serveral hours later we found ourselves stuck in a small town called Tilaran, we got off of the bus and found ourselves as usual fending off the local taxi drivers, on this occasion howver the were quite helpful and informed us that we wouldn´t be going anywhere until tomorrow unless we took up their offer of a $40 taxi! No thank you.

So we had to resign ourselves to staying the night and on direction of the taxi drivers made our way to the Central Plaza (yet another one) where we found accomodation in Hotel Mary. Thankfully we were welcomed by friendly owners and hot showers. Once we had found somewhere to stay we went for a little walk around and realised that there was a festival celebrating San Antonio this weekend, which everyone was preparing for. We went and had a look in the cathedral where we found two very friendly ladies, although a bit camera shy, decorating the alter with the most beautiful flower arrangements, they had not long started so we took a couple of pictures and left them to it.

We managed to find all of the facilities that we needed including a huge plate of Gallo Pinto and eggs then retired to our hotel balcony to watch the evening unfold. We were greeted on the balcony by another friendly guy who brough us chairs and spoke to us in a mix of Spanish and German, basically whatever language we seemed to understand and could answer back in. After this somewhat confusing conversation we decided that it was time to hit the fair which had been set up in the Cathedral grounds, luckily Kirstines favorite ride in the whole world was there so we were able to have not one but two rides on it. Happily for me they made Kirstine sit on the outside seat so when it started to go round really fast I was able to lose control and totally squash her, maybe more fun for me than it was for her especially as she decided it was the perfect photo opportunity.

After all the excitement of the fair we got a good nights sleep and decided that we should stay for the duration of the festival as the main events would all be held today. So far today we have seen traditional dancing in the street and a parade of decorated vehicles as well as people wearing strange costumes made from paper mache. We have also taken a little time to relax and watch an auction of livestock where we were offered crackling wrapped in tortillas to eat, I gave it a go but Kirstine looked a little green so politely refused, and Johnny Walker whiskey with water to wash it down. The Church is kind to Costa Ricans!!

So we will continue our Festival adventure this evening in this funny little town which we stumbled upon only by accident, maybe our Liberian hostel owners advice wasn´t so vague after all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



20th June 2009

you are both great ladies. I admire your courage and strength! xxx Nneka [laura's dad is my boss]

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb