Two Sisters and a Mother in Costa Rica Day 3


Advertisement
Published: September 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Sky Tram and Sky Trek Zipline! This zipline experience was the highlight of my trip to Costa Rica to celebrate my 70th birthday and what a trip it was! I couldn't wait to do this zipline, but one of my 40-something daughters was not so eager. After we finished she was glad she did. We booked our date and time for Sky Tram and Sky Trek with Viator weeks in advance which I recommend because this is very popular, at least in February. A van picked us up at 8:15am at the Hotel Arenal and we were soon off to zip!

When we arrived at the Sky Trek Zipline a long line of people were being processed and informed about the risks involved and how to safely travel on the ziplines. (There are lockers available to store loose items, hand held cameras and other loose objects since you are not allowed to carry anything while you are on this adventure.)

The professional staff straps you into a very safe sling "seat" that will be hooked (by professional staff) to the zip cable at the top before you "take off.” Heavy duty gloves are attached at the waist and they will be given to you to use when you are ready to hold on to the bar above your head as you “zip." Once you are outfitted with your cable straps, gloves and helmet, you get in a line to ride the tram to the top. People are moved in small groups toward the trams that seat from 4 to 6 people. The line progresses slowly because there the “zippers” need to be well spaced apart when riding the lines.

The ride to the top is beautiful but I recommend sitting on the upper side of the tram so, as you climb higher, you don't have to turn around to see the beautiful views of Lake Arenal.

Once you arrive at the top of the tram there is a large platform where you can take pictures (if you tucked your cell phone in your zippered pocket like I did) or if you are in the group that will not zip but will return to the base via the tram with cameras in hand.

The zip process is very efficient and regulated so that no one is ever on a zip line while someone else is on. There are 6 ziplines and platforms in all and it all works very smoothly. The staff will "hook" your gear to the cable, advise you to go into a tuck and warn you to stretch out and spread your legs just before you arrive at the next platform. This precaution is to help stop your "flight" but don't worry the staff are excellent and will stop you if you forget or don't take the option of slowing down like me, I didn't slow down, I wanted the ultimate thrill!

For those of you who are wary, don't be. It is very safe, exhilarating and the experience of a lifetime. And the longest time you are zipping is about 1-2 minutes; good for the wary, not so good for me as I could do this all day! As you soar like a toucan over the dense verdant canopy below you with views of Lake Arenal in the distance, it is so beautiful and oddly peaceful, you will forget that you are up in the air "flying". It is over all too soon so take in every wonderful moment!

We were reminded that it is a very small world. In between zip experiences we had time to chat with other people waiting on the platforms. It was there that we met a nice couple from Sarasota (my town) who were on their honeymoon. We later ran into them in La Fortuna and again at Playa Hermosa.

We did not know that Sky Trek has a small restaurant and gift shop at the base of the tram. Since our zip experience was already paid for and we were not driving our car, we were told not to bring many unnecessary things. Therefore we did not bring money or credit cards and so were unable to grab a lunch. Hungry, we hopped on the next available van that returned us to our hotel where we then jumped into our car and headed into La Fortuna in search of lunch.

Jose had recommended his favorite “Tica Soda” (local Costa Rican restaurant) in La Fortuna called Soda La Hormiga, like most restaurants, it was open air, located on a street that to us was out of the mainstream but still had a lot of traffic leading out of town. I am assuming the back of the restaurant was probably quieter since it didn't face the street.

I loved the colorfully decorated tablecloths and chairs. They really brightened the place up. I’m not sure why but the entrance is decorated with expressive painted ants, (hormiga is Spanish for ant). I was hoping that the reference is because they are hard working ants and not infested with them. Menu items are posted on a large wall that include the typical Costa Rican Casados to omelets and hamburgers. The food is inexpensive and quantities are large however one of us had fried fish that was not as plentiful as the chicken that had larger portions. With no ants in sight we ordered the typical meals that included rice and beans, a coleslaw of sorts, fried plantain and yucca. It was quite good with “fast food” prices. We had to laugh at the menu pictures that were posted on the wall. It looked as though they used the American fast food marketing for their sales approach.

After lunch we decided to explore La Fortuna to see what curiosities they sell to tourists. We found a lot of the typical things sold to tourists but what was very untypical were the large variety of painted wooden penises in various sizes. There were standing ones, hanging ones and some on key chains. We asked around but never did find an answer to the origin of this obsession but we got a good laugh out of it.

The hot springs were beckoning so we left La Fortuna and headed back for a late afternoon soak at Manoa Resort. It was finally cool enough to enjoy the hot springs and the swim up bar rather than the pool. Rain threatened when we arrived so we headed for the covered hot spring pool with our margaritas from the bar. We saw a family of toucans come in for the evening and watched hummingbirds flit between flowers. It was so very relaxing.

That evening, not wanting to leave the relaxing hot springs, we went to the pool bar and ordered an enormous plate of delicious nachos and some tacos. There was plenty of food to share. By the time we walked back to our room at the other end of the resort we were ready to collapse with our towel shaped monkey and mouse.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb