Luxury items and Parties in Pavas


Advertisement
Published: November 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Callista and MaritzaCallista and MaritzaCallista and Maritza

Making the rounds.
This past weekend we headed into San Jose for several reasons as is usually the case. We never go into the city for just one reason. There is always something we need or want that isn't available in San Ramon. So when we go to ‘the city’ on business or otherwise we make sure we pick up those luxury items that aren’t really necessary but add to your lives in ways you never realized. The desired luxury item this week was pretzels.

Pretzels, like bagels and many other things people take for granted in the states are not available in all the towns outside San Jose. You can find most American snack foods in the heavily traveled tourist areas like Manuel Antonio or I’m assuming Tamarindo but even in a good sized town like San Ramon some items are no where to be found. We’ve heard you can’t find Triscuts or Wheat Thins anywhere in the country. If you’re coming down to visit North American friends pack a few boxes of these luxury items. I’m sure your hosts will be pleased.

Another item we’ve missed here is Altoids, those curiously strong, tiny delicious treats. We all developed an addiction
Pretzels anyone? Pretzels anyone? Pretzels anyone?

Once you open a bag you've to eat'em all as in an hour they're moist.
for these our last few years in the states. At times we were unable to find them in Arizona and ended up purchasing boxes of them on a trip to California. If you haven’t tried them, beware. There should be a warning label about addiction on the tins. We’d learned to live without them in Costa Rica until a friend from Florida asked what he could bring us. Our basic needs had been met as we’d recently had several people bring us things from Arizona. After a bit of thought I suggested Altoids. The rumor was there were several cans waiting for us in Pavas. Callista couldn’t wait to go to San Jose. Thanks, John, Debra and kids for sending them. I’m sure our dentists will be thanking you as well!

While we have been known to go to the city solely for luxury items such as bagels we had another purpose for heading into town this time. Callista and I had been invited to a baby shower for our friend, Claudia who is also Callista’s dentist. I hadn’t been to a baby shower in years and this would be Callista’s first. We were very excited about it. We
Got Altoids?Got Altoids?Got Altoids?

John brought bag full of altoids and told Callista to take what she wanted. She didn't want to be rude so only took a few cans. John, if you've still got'em we'll take whatever you're willing to part with!
left Bill to watch Gator football in Pavas with our friend Ramon and house guest John who’d recently arrived from the states while the women, Maritza, Callista and I went to the baby shower at the medical college not far from the house.

The baby shower was fantastic. A good time was had by all. Cal and I were a little nervous as we knew we’d be the only ones there who didn’t have full command of the language. Maritza, bless her heart, can speak English but has confidence in Callista and my abilities to understand Spanish so she never speaks English with us. I think she takes pity on Bill as she speaks English with him. We quickly got over our nerves about the language as we got involved in the games. While tiny Maritza and Callista were being bumped off chairs by participants determined to win, I held my own and slipped right under those tiny tushies and won musical chairs proving that there are some benefits to being larger than a size one.

This shower was nothing like I’ve been to in the states. While the games were the similar this reminded me more of a wedding than a baby shower with speeches and a toast. Do people have baby showers in the states attended by more than eighty people? Wow, a little mind boggling.

It was obvious when Bill picked us up that He, Ramon and John had had their own party while the women were gone. Florida had won the game and a victory celebration ensued. I drove home from San Jose again that night.

Pura Vida!
Jen, Bill, Callista and Bear (who stayed home and missed both parties)



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Claudia, Mommy to beClaudia, Mommy to be
Claudia, Mommy to be

The guest of honor taking her stab at pin the tail on the elephant.
Playing gamesPlaying games
Playing games

Musical chairs is understandable in any language.
Everybody LIMBO!Everybody LIMBO!
Everybody LIMBO!

How low can you go?
How low can YOU go? How low can YOU go?
How low can YOU go?

Calli's hair touched the rope eliminating her before the competition got fierce. The tiny flat chested women definately had the advantage in this game.
Center piecesCenter pieces
Center pieces

A great deal of work went into all the handmade decorations.


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb