Indiana Jones


Advertisement
Published: January 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The morning dawned hot and sunny so we lounged around the pool for a couple of hours and then walked down the road into the middle of one of the Tico neighbourhoods where Anthony our hotel owner had suggested we eat as they have the BEST food. We walked to Garra-Pata only to find the gate closed but a couple of people inside. Not knowing what to do, Curtis went up and asked, "Abierto?". Si, Si was the answer and they welcomed us inside. Hose was busily donning his crisp white chef's shirt and his cap. It is so amazing how language barriers are overcome. He did not speak one word of English, nor did his wife, and my Spanish is shaky and basic but still we were able to get across to him that we were staying at Villa Fortuna and that Anthony had sent us. We enjoyed an amazing lunch! I finally got to have my Casada, which is the very "tipical" Tican dish of meat, rice, black beans, a pineapple sauce and salad. Curtis chose nachos which were fantastic! We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and headed back to our hotel in order to prepare for our tour to the Arenal Volcano.

We patiently awaited the shuttle that was to arrive at 2pm. The most hilarious part is that they told all 24 people who were at different locations in and out of La Fortuna that they would be picked up at 2! After circling through town on several occasions, passing through the same neighbourhoods more than once, we picked up several passengers. Apparently the don't sit and study the list of hotel pick ups in order to organize a sensible route. This only made the adventure that much more memorable and also gave us a chance to see some of La Fortuna we had yet to explore. We finally headed up to the Arenal National Park only to have our driver and guide realize we had missed a hotel on the way up. So we turned around and back tracked once more! With all the passengers present and accounted for we finally headed up. We got to glimpse the really expensive hot springs hotels, magnificent in size and landscape. We kept climbing, some roads paved, some not so much. We arrived at the Arenal Volcano Hotel and Observatory where we dismounted and went to view the spectacular splendour of this sleeping giant. The volcano erupted in 1968 killing 88 people, none of which were in La Fortuna (thus the name, The Fortunate or Lucky Ones) but rather it tragically destroyed the people living on the other side. From the Observatory we got to see several Coatis, many of which had just been born. We saw several species of birds and bird watchers were plentiful. We then walked to the museum where we learned that there has been no activity on the volcano since 2010 and they will get no warning when and if it will erupt again. While there our guide suddenly announced that there was a toucan in a tree. Everyone raced for a photo! There are apparently 3 kinds of toucans at the park and this was the first. As we then proceeded along the paved path, our guide Isaac, would stop to explain various flora. We learned about the Queen of the Night bush which grows beautiful white trumpet shaped flowers that can be brewed into a tea or used like "magic mushrooms" causing hallucinations. Just before we continued Isaac announces, "Now let's talk about snakes." Well my stomach did about 10 flips and from down the line I see the head of my husband lean forward and give me a mischievious grin! My body grew smaller as I listened how the beautiful yellow flower behind us was home to a tiny, but terribly venomous snake. I then learned that the coral snake is also very venomous but there is a fake and a real one! The difference between the two is the pattern of stripes. Etched in my mind was the fact I did not want to meet one where yellow stripes met black. Needless to say I was a little less than thrilled. We continued on our way, while I watched every step I took. While stopping to learn about another tree I suddenly noticed a very bright billed toucan in the tree behind. Isaac announced that this was the 3rd kind (we had already seen the other 2). We soon continued on our way marvelling at a rather fake looking tree. It almost seemed to have been stained different colours. Turns out it was a Eucalyptus tree brought here from Australia as the wood is very good for furniture. We continued on until we could hear the roar of our first stop, the waterfalls. This falls cascaded down with incredible force and anyone who wished, could scale down the rocks and swim in the cool pool below. Curtis quickly disrobed and made his way down. The current was forceful and thankfully he did not get sucked away! After watching the brave ones frolick in the frothy water we made our way back up again. Just as we reached the top, a local guide suddenly opened his hand to show a frog he had caught. He would jostle it around, which seemed to calm the frog so he would sit for his picture.

Now my dad loves the Indiana Jones movies and for years our family Boxing Day tradition was to watch all of them. There was something mesmerizing and almost magical about the hair-raising adventures that Indy and his array of female companions embarked upon. If I ever had the notion that maybe I could be in one of those movies that soon was proven wrong! The hanging bridges did me in! After crossing each of the four bridges I continued to feel like I was suspended in air. I could not get my legs and felt like I was still bouncing on the bridge. I can only describe it as feeling quite intoxicated! Just before we ended the tour of the jungle, Isaac took us to an open field with hills and trees. It turns out that this is where parts of Jurassic Park were filmed! You only had to close your eyes and imagine those reptilian creatures lumbering across the greenery.

We arrived back at the Arenal hotel where we waited for everyone to gather. We then made our way down the hill whereupon the bus stopped. Isaac asks, "Did everyone hear that?". He opened the bus door and we could hear tons of frogs. He hopped out and his plan was to catch a red-eyed frog while the other guide gave us a Costa Rican drink, which was made out of sugar cane and corn and very strong! Unfortunately these frogs only come out when it rains and as luck would have it there was no rain today! Our next stop, the hot springs. We pulled into the parking lot of the geothermal river pools. This was not one of the resorts which have manmade pools filled with the hot water from the springs, but the source, the river that feeds it all. Several tour groups and locals go to this hot springs. We were told to only wear our bathing suits and take nothing else as there would be no where to put it. They were right! We walked down a paved path to a set of very uneven, somewhat slippery rocks where crowds of people were gathered in the hot water. Our guides took us upstream through a forceful current until we got to another pool. This one was lit by a candle. We all sunk into the beautifully, warm water which was matched by the sultry evening air. Fireflies danced in the jungle around us and as we gazed up we were entranced by the large trees which canopied over top of us. Next, one of the guides brought out volcanic mud. He gently smeared it on our faces, guaranteed to make you look younger and your skin softer. People will pay $40 in La Fortuna to buy this magical mud. So we sat in the steamy, crystal clear water which rippled around us, looking like pygmies from Africa and enjoying every minute. We bathed in the warmth for about an hour, cleaned up our faces and headed out. This day only got better when, at the age of 51, I literally got lifted up by a very well-built Tico clad only in his underwear, in order to assist me over the rocks and amid the force of the water (Curtis held the flashlight😊. We got back to the bus where we toweled off and changed in the parking lot. Instead of being dropped back at our hotel we stayed in town where we enjoyed a great pizza and beer for supper.

Very sleepy now, but once we get on our Coffee Bean tour at 8am I am sure we will be raring to go!

Advertisement



24th January 2015

Happy Birthday
Leah waited on me at Christine's and told me it was her Dad's birthday. Your trip sounds amazing! Just off for a snowshoe! Q and Mark ran in kilts today for Robbie Burns. We are starting to toss things in our suitcases for Samara! Love to you both!
25th January 2015

Happy birthday Curtis!!
Enjoying the posts, thanks - have a blast, woooooooot!!

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb