Anteater ho !


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

MayDay was a relatively low key transition day. We were met at Monteverde and driven a couple hours through mountainous backroads to the edge of Costa Rica’s largest lake, Lake Arenal, where we were met by a boat.

The captain, who reminded me of my nephew Jordan must have picked up our vibe because indtead of taking us to meet our driver on the other shore, he first took us to an abandoned hundred and fifty year old cemetery that is in the process of being submerged in the lake. Then he drove the boat iinto series of thickly matted weeds lining part of the shore and we saw birds with astonishingly yellow underwings and looong toes that can walk on lily pads and caimans of differing ages and size.

We then docked and were driven to the Arenal Manoa hotel where every room had a glass wall looking out onto the currently quiet) volcano. We spent a good part of the afternoon in the resort’s pools.

This morning we took a taxi through back roads to Arenal Moountain National Park and hiked for about three and a half hours. It is much more hot here and seemingly humid (albeit the rainforest humnidity was about 1000%!).

Soon into our walk we were thrilled to see our first anteater, having a snack on long skinny plants that remind me of bamboo. We watched it for a while until it got huffy about us watching it eat and headed off in the undergrowth. A couple hours later in a little used part of the park we found an impressive bivouac of army ants.

I then wagered a meal at Zak's that no one could find a snake or wild cat on the hike. Soon thereafter Will found a small brown what was likely a viper at the base of the tree with the greatest trunk circumference I have ever seen. We decided it was the rare Zak's Viper...

We also did a detour and climbed up to where we were on a series of black igneous rocks left by one of the volcano’s eruptions.

Tomorrow is another transition day as we are met at the resort and driven too our digs on the northern Costa Rican Pacific Coast for a few days of indolent relaxation before we head back home next Tuesday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



3rd May 2012

Future careers
If the civil service and nursing things don't pan out, would you please go into the trip planning business?!? Will and Marika look pretty comfortable at the swim up bar ... what's in those drinks? xoxox
3rd May 2012

gorgeous!
Great pics! Such lovely flowers...I LOVE the pic of W&M at the pool bar -hahahahahaha. xo
3rd May 2012

You guys are non stop!
Wow, you guys make our vacations look very uneventful. Costa Rica looks amazing. You guys are going so much more than what Theo and I did in the 90s.
4th May 2012

Your wonderful "jungle" adventure
Hi Kim, Bruce, Will & Marika We just returned from Virginia last night. I have been following your adventure as Les took his laptop to Pete's. However, for some reason we couldn't send any e-mails, only receive them. So that's why I'm writing you now to let you know what great pictures and commentaries as usual. Guess your arriving home today so rest up -- it's always hard to come back to reality!
5th May 2012
Anteater says hola

Eating
I love the story about the anteater getting huffy because you are watching her/him eat. I don't like people watching me eat either, except at the dinner table of course. All other viewing of crunching and munching is less desirable. Strangely enough. I also love the Zak's bet. I am happy to know that Zak's is still inspiring kids of all ages. Simon and Sam loved it too.
5th May 2012
Caiman in Lake Arenal

Best pic yet
Really beautiful photo. Congrats Kim, Bruce, Will or Marika.
5th May 2012
Will and Marika at pool bar

Heaven
Will and Marika, You both look like you have died and gone to heaven.
6th May 2012

Howdy folks! :)
Hi all, it looks as though you are really having a blast in all this jungle terrain and fighting off many interesting insects! I still wish you had brought me in your suitcase, even if you had to put me together with velcro or duct tape haha. You all look so tanned and relaxed, and I cannot wait to hear more stories face to face that you couldn't type up. I must say that the spiders look terrifying and if I had seen them ran in the opposite direction. You are good spotters for all the different animals and creatures! The pool bar looked very enjoyable too! Hope your last days there are a blast and looking forward to seeing you all when you get back! Lots of hugs and love!!!! xoxox

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb