Lobster Dinner


Advertisement
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fresh lobster!Fresh lobster!Fresh lobster!

They look good eh?
Last week we had our first lobster dinner her on the rock and it was FANTASTIC! First and foremost we have to thank Lobster fisherman Michel for bringing the lobsters! Second we have to talk about how to and what you need and how to go about this lobster dinner making thing.


1. Get a hold of some fresh lobsters! For us this was easy since Michel asked us if we liked to make some lobsters at our place. The fishermen here on Saba go fishing on the Saba banks that is about 2hrs out from the island (we didn't pick them off the dive sites!). They they keep the lobsters in traps down at the harbor and bring them over to St.Maarten about once a week. So Michel brought 4 1 and 1/2 to 2 lb lobsters, perfect for cooking!

2. Keep it alive! You might think keeping them in salt water would be good, but the lobsters use up the O2 quick and then drown. They live longer outside than stagnant water. Michel left them for us in the shade under the banana trees and that seemed to do the trick.

3. Then when everything but the lobster is cut, sliced, diced, cooked, heated and boiled. Then go get ready to kill the lobster. We did it the Saba way and for that you do need a huge pot with loads of boiling water. You then take the pot outside and have the lid ready when you put the lobster in as it will splash. The ones that we made lobster thermador of only needed about 30sec and the BBQ ones we boiled for about 18 min.

4. Halving a lobster is pretty easy IF you have a sharp big knife and a hammer. This will also make a bit of a mess, so outside is good for this. We did do a couple in the kitchen and had a bit of a cleanup job afterwards. There is nothing that is poisonous in a lobster, but some stuff that doesn't taste so great, so you just remove everything that does not look like proper lobster meat.

5. Lobster thermador requires to bake in the oven for awhile just spiced with paprika, salt and pepper. Later you add bechamel sauce mixed with a fish tarragon broth, more spices and some yummy cheese to put
Killing the lobsterKilling the lobsterKilling the lobster

Joachim and Michel
under the grill!

6. To BBQ a lobster you may choose to boil it first like we did, but if you do this remember to add butter to the seasoning. Garic, lemon, salt and pepper is all you need.

7. If you make enough you can even have amasing leftovers the next day!

And that is about it! It was a fantastic meal and we SO look forward to the next one!

Bon Appetit!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Now that looks good! Now that looks good!
Now that looks good!

Mel, Joachim and Michel
Not to forget fantastic left oversNot to forget fantastic left overs
Not to forget fantastic left overs

Thank you to Mel who decided to be on a diet the night before! :)


24th October 2007

missu guys
looks good, lobster is great.

Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0905s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb