Living, Diving, Hiking and Eating on Saba


Advertisement
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chef Vic and the rosted pigletChef Vic and the rosted pigletChef Vic and the rosted piglet

Bruno and Jyliska roasted a piglet underground for 9 hours for their leaving due! Vic did most of the marinading and spices and I believe Gersh helped with digging of the 6 feet deep whole! Tasted fantastic guys!
Time flies and we are not getting around to writing blogs as often, so let’s try to catch up!

Living at Saba
Living here in the Caribbean we have all doors and windows open and the other day a goat wandered into our living room.After taking a picture we tried to “shhuuee” it out it did what goat’s does, jumping and kicking its back legs! Luckily it did not hit either laptops or tv!

Refurbishing one of the boats in St. Maarten
We spent four days in Simpson bay in St. Maarten refurbishing one of the dive boats. It was hard work doing all the sanding, painting and fixing of this and that, but we did get out for some good food every night! We stayed at the Azure Guesthouse owned by fellow divers Mike and Fawnette. It was very nice to have a beach!

Diving and boats
We are learning it all! We have even been alone on the dive boat! Joachim as the captain and Nina as crew (yes, crew is the one running around doing all the ropes, fenders, picking up moorings and all the rest! ). Check out how to do some knots. The diving is really good here with 20-30m visibility and 29 degrees 😊 Some photos have been updated on Flickr.

Hiking on volcano island
There are some great up and down hiking trails around the island. The favourite so far is starting from Windwardside walk to down to Hell’s gate where we joined the Sandy Cruise trail through the rainforest ending up at Queensgarden and then taking the XX trail passed the Ecolodge before coming back to Windwardside. The trip took us about 4hrs and was brilliant exercise! After the trip we spend some time in the pool at Scout’s to chill out.

Food
There are quite a few restaurants on the island, but you need to know which days they are open and the opening hours. We have been walking around trying to get food, just to discover that they have all closed their kitchens! Many of them have special deals on specific days but you have to reserve!
Tuesday = Roast Chicken at Scout’s and Chicken and Ribs BBQ at Swinging Doors
Wednesday = Gyros at Scout’s
Thursday = Prime Rib at Brigadoon and Roast Chicken at Scout’s
Friday = Burger and a movie (the islands only cinema, it is even outdoors!) at Tropics and Chicken and Ribs BBQ at Swinging Doors (plus Karaoke at Scout’s from 8pm)
Sunday = BBQ Rib-eye steak night at Swinging Doors

We also do some cooking at home and learn to be creative as one is often missing an ingredient or two. It took a month to find a large cutting board as well, but boy it was like little Christmas even when we got it! 😊

Did you all have a chance to check out the island on Google map?

And we have also uploaded some new pictures on flickr

Take Care Guys!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Get'n the boat back in the waterGet'n the boat back in the water
Get'n the boat back in the water

Happy workers in the front, Bob and Nina


15th September 2007

I can
send u some chilli if u want, and seeds too. :D goat bbq next ?? Invite the neighbourgs then.... he he
16th September 2007

:)
Thanks for offering to send Chillies, but Joachim's mom has already put together a "seeds package" so it should be on it's way. They say Goat curry is good... have not tried it yet.. ;)

Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb