Hurricane Dean has now passed Saba


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Blog Entry: 17th of August
Hurricane Dean has now passed south of us and all we got was a bit of rain and wind as well as a few hours without electricity. Looking at the path and strength of Dean we pray for the people and hope damage will be a minimum.


Blog Entry: 16th of August
Dean should get up to Hurricane level 2 but the forecast is such that Dean should pass south of us, so we should "only" get the winds and the rain. Saying that all the boats are now either moved to safe harbor or lifted out of the water as the waves/wind should be coming from the south and hit straight on the harbor. As you know we have already boarded up the Dive shop, which turns out to be a very good idea. If you like to keep an eye on it there are a couple of good websites with lots of information, we are watching them all very closely. www.noaa.com and the one we linked into below www.wunderground.com

So what are we doing about it all? We left home at 0430 this morning and got both the dive boats for Saba Divers Safely into the lagoon (Safe harbour) in St. Maarten. The boat ride took about 3 1/2 a bit of waves, but not tooo bad.. After securing the boats we spent a few hours in Philipsburg having a look at what is on offer there, and it is a lot of stuff as the town is harbour for many cruise ships coming down this way. I'll write more about St. Maarten later, but as an introduction it is Tax Free. YES! 😊 Saba Divers crew, Bob, Marie and us came back on Dawn II, the ferry going to Saba, at 1700. And after a good meal and loads of hurricane talk at Scout's we found our way back home at 2100... Now we are sitting here waiting for weather updates at 1100pm... That is if we can stay up that long..

Blog Entry: 15th of August
Tropical storm Dean is getting stronger and closer by the hour. It does not looks like it is going to come directly to Saba, check out the updates here. It looks like it might be passing Saba on the south side, which means that the south facing harbour (yes there is only one) could get big
Boat's secured! Boat's secured! Boat's secured!

Marie, Bob and Nina
waves coming in. Therefore we are taking both dive boats over to the sheltered harbour in St. Maarten tomorrow. We have never been there, but in order to get to the sheltered harbour you have to go to a bridge which only opens three times a day. So we are going for the first opening at 9.30am... which means we are leaving our place at 4.30am in order to get there in time. The current plan is then to catch the passenger ferry back at 5pm so we can be around here in case it gets bad. Good thing about it: We have never been to St. Maarten 😊 For the time being people are calm and relaxing and waiting for more news, but we are all watching the updates closely as you never know what Mr. Weather might do...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sandbags in place...Sandbags in place...
Sandbags in place...

Takes some time to load up 19 sandbags containing 10 shovels of sand each... Well done Em and Joachim!


17th August 2007

good luck !!!
hey guys, I worked for Saba Divers till Ma this year and we expected a tropical storm last year same time but there was finally nothing...please say hello to Marie and Bob and Bettina and I keep you all in mind!!! Sandra from Germany
18th August 2007

Hi Sandra
Hi Sandra! Thx for your comment! The hurricane has now passed, so except for a bit of wind, rain and a power cut for a few hrs it is all good. We even had karaoke tonight! Not as busy as usual as the med. students are between semesters, but still good to catch up with people! :) Got some pictures on flickr from this years carnival, check it out on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninapedersen/sets Will pass on your greetings when we meet at the vortex tomorrow at 8am... :)
9th September 2007

sunny?
hows life now? is it busy time and dive every day ?
13th September 2007

Sunny!
Hi Thomas! Yes the yellow thing is kicking about! Just about to post another blog for updates.. but lots of diving happening :)

Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb