Belize Bliss Stars at Hopkins Beach


Advertisement
Belize's flag
Central America Caribbean » Belize
January 5th 2016
Published: January 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Crazy trip down here – Toronto, Indianapolis, New York, Belize City, finally Hopkins Beach – two replaced planes and flight delays, gunned it into NYC, and just caught the flight into Belize City because it too, had been delayed by 30mins. Arrived with my gear on the same plane!!

Belize City and Seaside Guest House lived up to their reputation – friendly but SEEDY!!

Then a reasonably fast but ‘charismatic’ bus trip from Belize City through villages, mountain outcrops, bush and orange groves, to Hopkins Beach. On the bus, lots of friendly and multi-lingual folk who share their cell-phone family pictures – everyone has their hand-held cell phones, even if they do cost 3x Cdn retail prices. The last 4mi stretch from the Southern Highway into Hopkins Beach was by hitch hike –like everyone, especially the locals, hitch hike into town; sort of Belizean uber – you tip the driver, but he does deliver you to your hotel.

Hopkins Beach is the best vege-out beach between Mexico and Honduras – so I’m told by an international group of well-travelled backpackers from Canada, Denmark, Brits, Volunteer-Working-Americans, Finns (oh yeah, good at hockey) who are travelling through and trading stories at the Funky Dodo hostel, which is the undisputed best in Hopkins Beach – super nice people running it – the manager even cut my hair – and not a bad cut according to everyone. Hopkins is a long, reef-protected beach, lots of fish, multi-racial-lingual Belizeans and Expats, a nice village of small multi-cultural restaurants, music (Garifuna) venues and Chinese-operated supermarkets, a long central section of small hotels and hostels, booked by ritzy adventure boutique hotels to the south and a horrible, deserted gated community to the north.

Weather is of course warm, but not sunny enough – the sun comes out in a couple of days, and then off to Glovers Caye. I should report to you soon. Thinking of you when I can. Cheers. Pete


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



6th January 2016
IMG_1827

Hi Dad! Loved your first official blog entry down south. Thanks for taking the time to write, as it really gives me a feel for the place and the adventure you're living - as you're living it. You definitely seem to be living up to your name of NatureFree! So nice to hear, and Hopkins Beach sounds spectacular. Also love your shots! I think might have to print some of them, if I can! I hope the sun cooperates more with you in the coming days. ;) Keep having fun. - Love Sofie P.S. Monique would like to receive your blog posts. I'll send you a separate email with her email address.
6th January 2016

Envy
Glad you made it OK. I hope you are having a great time in Paradise!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb