I Love PG


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It's our last night in Punta Gorda and I have to admit I'm kind of sad. I really like this town. It's quiet, it's quaint, and it hasn't been reached by western style tourism but liked the rest of Belize, it's coming. We have met some super people and have enjoyed the layed back relaxation we'd hoped for.

We didn't have any plans yesterday so we grabbed the courtesy bikes and toured around the town. like I said, PG is not very developed and is probably the last frontier of old Belize. There are some interesting places to visit downtown. We stopped at the Cottontree Chocolate shop and factory and had a tour and demonstration of how they make chocolate. And of course the were samples 😊. Then we found a nice little art gallery on the west side of town called We Art Gallery. The woman that was in charge had just closed up but was more than happy to open it up again and take us on a tour. They are a local not for profit group working with local artists and young children to encourage the preservation of the Belizean culture through art. Although Belize is a very young country, it is rich in culture and history and there is a fear that it is disappearing with the influence of western culture seeping in. There are some beautiful pieces in the gallery and if you are in PG you really should stop in and check it out.

Today we went out on the ocean to do some fishing. It was unusually calm out there and incredibly hot! We saw something very rare today according to our guide Roberto and that was seeing a sailfish on the inside of the reef. It was small so it had probably gotten lost. I won the day by catching the most fish including a 20 lb barracuda! If you ever want to try fishing in PG you need to look up Roberto. I can't remember his last name but that is the beauty of this place. The locals just know. It cost us $300.00 American. A bit pricey we thought at first but definitely well worth it!

Off to San Ignacio now. I don't know what kind of wifi coverage we will get there so I may not be able to post anything for a few days. We are staying out of town in the jungle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb