Cayo and Orange Walk


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

so, we had 2 and a half days in Cayo (San ignacio). This is a small town fairly close to the Guatemalan border which we planned on using as a hub to explore the west side of Belize. The town is set around the Mopan river and twinned with Santa Elena on the other side. I had a good time there because of the people we met. It is the first time that I had really met other travellers in Belize. Other than this, we have been so isolated and haven't met many other travellers! The town is small and has a large market area.

We arrived there to be greeted by some other Medics on their elective from Nottingham, (they may have been signed off a little early like us) but had also just qualified, so we had a lot in common. We ended up heading into town and going to a bar which turned out to be owned by a woman whose husband had died 9months ago and she was just finishing off the contract to sell the bar and handing it over the next day... Therefore, all the booze at the bar needed to be finished!

So, the problem with Cayo is that you really need a car to do it cheaply and to get to all the places. Tours were really expensive and cabs were also really pricey. We made the most of what we could to there but it was a shame how we were so limited and we still and to spend a lot to do anything, the first day we went to some ruins Called Cahel Pech just outside of San Ignacio. These were really nice and well kept on top of the hill outside of the town. The museum was interesting and the place was quiet. On the way home, we stopped in the Iguana hatchery and learnt about the Iguana conservation and got to hold a lot of iguanas and feed them (even the baby ones!). They are trying to prevent them from being killed out as the dish is a speciality. fact of the day : iguanas have 2 penises.

The following day we went on a medicinal trail in the Chaa Creek Nature Reserve which we had to taxi to. This wa really interesting and we learnt about a lot of the plants in the forest and their medicinal uses. all spice is useful as a local anaesthetic (particulaly in dentristry) and oregano can be used for coughs and colds. it was really interesting to see their beliefs and how they have all unfolded and it would be fascinating to find out whether these are actual cures or actualay do the job they say! That evening we went to a few bars with some Aussies.

So, the next day we travelled across the country via Belize Zoo. this may be the best zoo I have ever been to. all the animals there are Belizian and have either been brought there due to injury or rescued. We saw Jaguars and cats and monkeys and tapirs and they all looked really happy. The zoo was in the jungle and you really had to look for the animals to find them. It all seemed really humane and there was lots of other animals which would trundle along the path that you were taking! Our next stop was Orange walk which is in the Northern district of Belize.

Orange Walk is a small town which used to be home to 2 British forts, what we really wanted to do here was go to Lamanai which are some large Mayan Ruins up the river. To get there you need to go via a boat, the whole trip was the most pricey thing we have done but was really good. There was lots of wildlife on root and I got to feed a monkey a banana. The ruins were something out of Lara Croft Tomb Raider and had vines and trees everywhere and monkeys and wild animals running all around. Really good day out.

The hotel we are staying at is very basic and the food we are eating is mainly street food as it is so cheap and easy. Next stop- Caye Caulker aka the sea and the sun. Trying to stop spending and chilling out for a few days After our good week of moving around.

Peace out. X

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb