Crossing Our Fifth Border


Advertisement
Published: January 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived to the border between El Peten, Guatemala and Cayo, Belize at about 4pm on Tuesday the 27th of January. We should have arrived earlier, but sometimes life gets in the way of plans.

We exited out of Guatemala, paid to have our van fumigated for a cost of under $10 USD and proceeded to the Belizean immigration and customs. Immigration was simple. Customs took a bit more time since the customs official needed to see all of our papers, fill out all of his, and inspect our vehicle before allowing us to enter the country. After going through immigration and customs we then had to purchase Belizean insurance for our van. There were no charges to enter into Belize, but we did have to pay $60 USD for the vehicle insurance. When all was said and done it was 6pm and nearing dark.

We made it to San Ignacio, the first town in Belize where we had planned to stay. The streets were small and congested and since it was getting dark we decided to go back out to outskirts of town and find a hotel that was easy to get to and had parking for our van. We stayed at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel at a rate of $100 USD for a room for the night with a comfortable bed and hot shower. We were also able to get enough laundry to last us a couple of days more.

The official language in Belize is English, so Chuck felt at home right away and made jokes with everyone and was happy to see a bottle of Captain Morgan at the bar.

The next morning we found Midas Resort, which rents cabanas, cottages and king suites with laundry, internet, parking, three dogs, and ample tourist information. We rented a small cabana for about $50 USD per night.

From San Ignacio we plan to visit three Mayan ruin sites and possibly an Iguana park, and also Chuck will fly solo to go on a tour to visit some area caves (since this tour involves swimming Leila will spend the day in town updating the travel blog, and finances).

After San Ignacio we plan to head south to visit more ruin sites, to the coast for a few days on the beach, then north towards Mexico.
We were permitted entry for 30 days, time will tell if it will have been enough; Godspeed and good travels!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb