Our unbelizable adventure begins!


Advertisement
Published: January 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Destination #1 - San Pedro, Belize



After a short series of flights from DC to Miami and then to Belize City, we began our Belize adventure! San Pedro is located on Belize's largest caye (pronounced key), approximately 35 miles north of Belize City. Since they sold one extra seat on our flight, I got to sit in the co-pilot's seat, totally sweet. I made sure not to touch the steering apparatus!




The Town

San Pedro is a bustling little town of about 15,000 people. The center of town consists of 2-3 streets that run parallel to the coast, full of gift shops, restaurants, dive shops, etc. Since San Pedro's main industry (and all of Belize's for that matter) is tourism, the entire town is there to serve you. To get around you can rent golf carts or bicycles, the streets are barely large enough for a car and are either dirt or cobble stone. It only takes about 20 minutes to walk from one end of town to the other though...





The Hotel

We stayed at SunBreeze Hotel, which was right on the beach in the center of town. They have their own dive shop and an amazing restaurant/bar that we frequented almost every night. Best Mojitos in town, and watching the sunrise from the pier was pretty spectacular as well.






Day Trips

When we weren't lounging by the pool or cruising the town, we were out exploring the ocean. Our favorite trip was a full day of sailing on a catamaran with several snorkeling stops on the barrier reef and a stop on Caye Caulker for lunch. Other trips included a sunset sailing cruise and a day relaxing on a private beach with our fellow travellers drinking rum punch, BBQing and playing volleyball.





Our 7 days in San Pedro were fantastic, but toward the end of our trip some bad weather came through so we were glad to head inland. Next stop Pook's Hill!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb