How to Celebrate Your 50th Birthday!


Advertisement
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route to San Pedro


Sunset Sunset Sunset

Sunset looking back at Belize

Route to San Pedro

WOW-WHAT A GREAT TRIP!



Mark and I decided that instead of a big party we would take each other away for our 50th birthdays. Talking with my sister about it, she recommended going to Belize. She had been for 4 years straight at the time and she and her husband LOVE IT! Specifically, San Pedro on Ambergris Caye.

We started early with a transfer in Houston. From Houston we headed to Belize City. The woman next to me was from California too, but has come to Central America for years. She knows it well and has been a tour guide in some Mayan ruins before. She recommended that if at all possible to see Tikal but Caracol was a definite second choice. She said that Tikal Inn was just outside the park and room rates were reasonable and included breakfast and lunch.

Our flight landed late and as we came into the country. I was to receive my first stamp in my passport! (How exciting) BUT I had forgotten to sign my passport ! We missed our scheduled flight into San Pedro but were able to get the next and last flight for the day. While
balconybalconybalcony

Pool and ocean from our Balcony
waiting for our flight we checked out Jet's Bar, a small place that makes a killer rum punch. When I asked Jet what he uses in it he said it was a special blend of 11 kinds of rum!

On the plane we were talking with two women that were just returning from Tikal - they had stayed at the Tikal Inn and said it had adequate accomodations. They said the guide took them very early into the park and they needed lights to see the pathways. They pointed out Caye Caulker and said they had stayed there last year and it was more laid back than Ambergris Caye.

We took a moment to enjoy the sunset from the plane before it landed.

Our taxi from the airport was a minivan and the driver was very informative about where to shop for groceries and how the economy is in the country.

We will later realize that the airport strip is the only thing that is paved on this island....

We checked in to the Banyan Bay south of the airport and town. Nice two bedroom/2bath condo with whirlpool tub! (Good thing I brought the bubble bath!)

The balcony overlooks the pool with the Caribbean ocean a short distance away. The pool is well laid out with a bi-level shallow end and semi-separated from the deep end. There are stools in the deep end where a pool bar was once (and hopefully will be again).

Full kitchen with dining and living room and a TV( too bad!). Water is not drinkable but bottled water is easy to obtain from the resort.

We settled in and headed to the beach. We ate at Rico's and sat outside in the warm breeze. We were fortunte that lobster was still in season (but only for 4 more days!) and we both ordered that to celebrate our birthdays!

That was the same day that Anna Nicole Smith died ( which was all over the news and would be for days - poor girl!).

Went to bed but we both woke short after - it was still 9 pm for us PST.
We do need to keep the ceilings fans on (just like at Aunt Di's house) to keep the humidity down.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

PelicanPelican
Pelican

He was posing for picture
MoonriseMoonrise
Moonrise

Moon overhead early one morning
Sunrise BeginingSunrise Begining
Sunrise Begining

So quiet here - no waves crashing on the beach
My FavoriteMy Favorite
My Favorite

Sunrise was beautiful!


26th March 2007

And what a way to celebrate!
Does look like a great trip! And you're getting to be quite the photographer! Where exactly is Amergris Caye?
26th March 2007

Beautiful
Dear Mark and Dayna, Wow what a beautiful place when are you moving there are you going to tell the boys or just leave them a note send more photos if you can Thanks Love Uncle Keith

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 4; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb