Land ho!


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.1597, -59.5514

Well we survived 5 sea days even ship is low on fruit and wine. There are 5 containers waiting on the dock. Think the might come on to this ship?..Dave has a guided photography excursion today so I will let him write about that. The port looks fairly busy. Several container ships and two cruise ships besides ours. One is a windjammer. Of course the water is that beautiful coral blue.

The photographic tour by Ronnie Carrington, a local who was trained in the US. Like many in Barbados he has several "paying jobs". He runs tours during tourist season, trains budding local photographers, sells his pictures and has a video production company. He shared several of his pictures with us throughout the tour along with many bits of information about Barbados. One of these tidbits was the chattel style of house. It was built in sections to be easily put up or taken down and moved. The starting point was 10 x 20 feet because of the length of boards available. So our second stop was to photograph a typical chattel house. Before that we stopped to photograph the Royal Palms at the entrance of an estate. Here he suggested filling the frame with the palms and slightly under exposing the shot.
He took us to the less populated areas of Barbados while continuing to educate us on both photography and Barbados. We went to the north east to a section called "little Scotland" based on the terrain. We had some beautiful views of the east coastline from a high ridge and took photographs there. Then it was down to the shore for a stop at a small roadside park for photographs and bathrooms. Later along the coast we stopped where huge rock formations were shaped like mushrooms by the waves. We also got a rum punch for $2 after learning a little rhyme for the recipe.
"One part sour, two parts sweet, three parts strong and four parts weak." Here the sour is lime juice. The sweet is bar syrup. The strong is rum. The weak is orange or grapefruit juice. He also suggested adding a few drops of bitters, some grated nutmeg and refrigerating at least overnight.
This was a fun way to see and learn about the island of Barbados.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb