All is NOT perfect in paradise.


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
February 13th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.0265, -77.5446

Waiting out weather in a harbour that is not very well protected. Over thirty six hours of pitching and rolling so far…and it's still going. And to boot, the anchor locked blew shut onto Tony's head.

Feb. 13th, 2014 – Lyford Cay, New Providence (Near Nassau)

Hello Family and Friends,

We are presently anchored in Lyford Cay on the west side of New Providence (for those who are geographically challenged, let's just say "Nassau" - even though we are NOT in the city.) We swore we wouldn't go to Nassau - it's big, built up, and it has a Starbucks. That's not what we are looking for out here! In Miami, sure…but not out here! Here, we want to experience the local cuisine, to meet the locals, celebrate their culture. (Although I'm THRILLED to have found an open wifi connection - some conveniences are hard to let go!)

So we are sitting at this anchorage waiting out some weather. We had an excellent sail on Tony's birthday (from Alder Cay to Lyford) and thinking back to our first night here…it was blissfully uneventful!! Then the wind came.

Yesterday was still sunny and warm but the wind increased to 20 knots. Overnight
we had several storms pass through and it turned out the be a very sleepless night. Tony napped in the cockpit from 6:30pm until 10m, knowing that worst weather was coming and that he'd be up a good portion of the night to check on things. We were up numerous times just because of the high winds and pounding rain. But the anchor held, and we were fine. (Tony had dove to check our anchor before the winds started yesterday to make sure the anchor is well set.) The last storms of the night passed around 3am and then the wind remained at a constant 20 knots. And then I slept until 11:30am today!!! Lyford Cay is not a particularly protected harbour, so through all of this we have been rocking and rolling like crazy! Today we've had sustained winds at 25 knots and gusts up to 35 knots during storms. Late this afternoon the sun came out again for a bit and the Kite Boarders came out to enjoy the wind and the waves here in the harbour. Glad SOMEONE is enjoying this!

We are here with one other boat who seems to live here permanently in the winter months. The fellow rowed over yesterday to say hello and has been very generous and kind, offering us assistance with anchoring in this harbour, making sure we are in a good holding spot, and offering weather forecasts. He called us on the VHF radio today after a blast of wind went through to ask how we were making out. He has "local" knowledge of this harbour and is willing to share it. That's called being a "good neighbour" - which we appreciate.

Now that I have wifi, I found out that our AIS track has not been working since the night we were on the bank. So, I've created one (attached) with a google map so that you have an idea of where we went. (Yes, I'm enjoying being on the computer again…can you tell?) The route we took from Bimini was: One night anchored on the Bahama Bank - Anchored just outside of Bullock Harbour, Great Harbour Cay (Berry Islands) - Sail around Little and Great Stirrup Cays to anchor at Goat Cay - Anchor at Alder Cay, Berry Islands - Now Anchored at Lyford Cay, New Providence. We've been blessed with AMAZING weather each day we've been sailing from Bimini to Lyford Cay.

We have now been joined by two pods of dolphins since Bimini. The first pod on the Bahama Bank was the biggest (about ten to twelve of them). They were swimming up to the bow of the boat and then backing off and another group would come up. They were just magnificent! See the pics in the Photo Blog! The second pod joined us briefly when we left Bullock's Harbour enroute for the Stirrups. This time we got to see a mom and her calf swimming side by side.

While anchored at Bullock's Harbour I thought I saw a manatee, but wasn't sure. Then, when we dinghied into Great Harbour Marina we saw the "Slow - Manatee" signs everywhere. So it WAS another manatee! Wow. Now, we're seeing starfish. There was a skinny black one under our boat at Alder Cay (again, see picture blog) and here at Lyford there are those big fat orange ones. (No pictures yet - it's been too windy!) I need to learn about these so that I can name them properly for you in future.

It was a big treat to go up around Little Stirrup Cay and Great Stirrup Cay since my mom and I had been there together as part of our cruise ship vacations when I was a teenager. It was neat to sail alongside the big cruise ship. It looks like a huge building - see the pics on the blog. The facilities at Great Stirrup Cay have grown. I remember that the ship would do a spread of food with chafing dishes set up on tables and it was all outdoors. I was only able to see it from afar, but there is an entire "faux" village there now, as well as something similar to a "theme park"!

The ships are also renting out Seadoo's so we had those whipping around us for a good part of the afternoon while anchored at Goat Cay. That's okay though, we didn't mind it one bit! Those folks are here for a one week vacation. This is our life. I'm honoured to be a "part of their scenery" (as our Cruising Guide says)! 😊

I've added pictures to the Photo Blog…so please take a look!

Now you are all caught up on where we are and where we've been for the past week! We will watch for a calm day to
make our way across to Allen's Cay in the Exumas next. For now, I'm signing off with the winds still howling and the boat still pitching and rolling! (And a full belly - Tony made a delicious Shepherds Pie dish for dinner!) But now I've caved and taken half a Gravol (Dramamine to the Americans on the list). I'm proud that I've made it for over 36 hours of this without feeling the slightest bit of nausea. I don't feel sick yet, but exhausted, yes, so the Gravol will help to knock me out so I can get a better sleep. Please don't worry, Mom. I'm ok. I'd tell you if I wasn't!

Love and Kisses!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



14th February 2014

It might be wet, windy, wild & noisy, but it's not freezing & snowy!
14th February 2014

lol

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb