Bahama Breeze


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.06, -77.33

After a good nights sleep we awake as Allure drifts into the Bahamian port of Nassau. The hot tropical sun is starting its climb along with the temperatures. We head down to the main dining room for breakfast. Suitably nourished we grab our things and head towards the Solarium at the front of the ship. It's an adult only area and a nice place to relax and chill. The place is deserted as a lot of people have gone ashore. Having visited Nassau more than once we had decided not to go on any shore excursions or tours this time and take advantage of a relatively quiet ship. Peter does venture off briefly to take some pictures of Allure and the other 2 ships moored alongside us, Disney Dream and Carnival Ecstasy.

We take dip in the cool waters of the Solarium pool and then relax reading and listening to music. I take stroll around the upper decks of the ship and spend a little time watching people on the FlowRider® surf simulator. It takes some skill and practice to remain upright and prevent a wipeout and some people have obviously done this before judging from the amount of time they manage to stay vertical. We have lunch at Johnny Rockets which is a 50's inspired diner specialising in burgers. It's a slice of pure americana at sea. The milk shakes are amazing.

We have only a short stay in Nassau and at 2pm we cast off and pull away from the dock. Allure demonstrates her incredible manoeuvrability as her bow thrusters come into play as she navigates the narrow channel out past the headland and into deeper waters. There is a slight swell to the ocean which doesn't trouble the ship. We always like to feel some motion from the ocean to remind us we are actually at sea.

As we are now at sea the onboard shops open up and a horde gathers for the imminent $10 sale at 3pm. At first I am slightly dismissive that people cannot wait patiently and shop with a little dignity but I am soon jostling for position to grab something. I only brought my gargantuan Fossil watch with me and its heavy. I bag a smart little waterproof sports watch that weighs next to nothing and will be perfect for using around the pool or theme parks next week. Will save my Fossil for the evenings. Peter buys a nice little Panama Hat from one of the other shops and looks very dapper in it.

Snooze time. Not sure if its the sea air but we both take an afternoon nap. We have quite a busy evening ahead and want to be as fresh as possible. We awake late afternoon and spend some time on the balcony watching the ocean slip by. I spy what I think at first are a couple of little birds skimming across the ocean waves, until they disappear beneath the waters. Flying Fish.

It's formal night tonight and that means Tuxedos. We hire them online before leaving the UK as it saves carrying them in our luggage. They are always waiting in the closet when we arrive at our cabin. Again we head down to Blaze Nightclub for some pre dinner drinks. The wait staff already know our poison from the previous day and so we consume a couple of Jack and Cokes and G&Ts.

Dinner is at Giovannis Table tonight, an Italian type bistro on Central Park. Before that we stop for some formal photographs and join a line of people waiting to do the same. The photographer is very, very thorough and seems to be taking at least 20 pics per couple. We allow him to take 3 of us as dinner calls. Very pleasant dinner at Giovannis. Peter and I share an Insalada Caprese for appetiser and I have a pasta dish to follow and Peter has veal. We both finish with an excellent Tiramisu.

We quickly change out of our formal wear and into something a little more comfortable before heading to the Amber Theatre for Chicago. Having never seen it on stage I don't have a comparison but it looked and sounded excellent.

After the show we headed to the Casino Royale for a flutter on the slots. We ended $15 dollars up and so quit whilst ahead. As we were cashing in there was an announcement that someone had just won $20,000. Put our little win into perspective.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb