Clarence Town, Long Island, BAHAMAS


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 23.1, -74.9833

My iPod thinks I'm in Cuba. We are NOT in Cuba!!!

JAN 24
We arrived in the Clarence Town harbour yesterday after a long day of motor sailing. It was another bumpy ride...the waves were confused, and we were really beating into them much of the time. So even though the sun was shining, it was a wet ride from all the spray. The boat is covered in a layer of salt. Saltwater seeped into the boat through every hatch. Luckily, we had everything set up so that mainly it was only our throw rugs that absorbed all the drips.

We are spending today in Clarence Town. Tony and I have been here before, but by car. Last June, we anchored in Salt Pond (on the west side of Long Island) and rented a car with Bliss II. Clarence Town was the southernmost town we visited on that trip. (If you look back in the pictures, you'll see that Davey Bear and I climbed to the top of the Catholic Church steeple.)

Craig and Christa, on Simunye, have decided to shoot straight to the Dominican Republic from here. Tony and I still want to enjoy the Out Islands of the Bahamas on our way to the Turks and Caicos. So this is it! After almost two months of Buddy boating and almost three months of knowing each other, tomorrow we will part ways. 😞

JAN 26

We're still here. Simunye departed yesterday morning. We decided to stay put as a cold front pushed down from Florida and cut short our lovely weather window. Tony wants to ensure we have three to four good days of weather to get ourselves to Mayaguana via Crooked and Acklins so we are waiting patiently.
Did a few boat chores yesterday. I cleaned the Teak Tow Rail around the boat and we made English Muffins that are oh...so....good! Just like store bought...No! Actually, better! 😉

FEB 2

After far too long, we are finally leaving Clarence Town in the AM.

We stayed here because the winds have been wild, AND because Tony NEEDED to watch SuperBowl last night. This harbour has been so rolly and miserable for most of our stay. We've moved around to various locations to try to get into the lee, but it still rolls no matter where you are! There were two days that it was so rough we were unable to get off the boat to come ashore. It would have been dangerous to even try! I actually had to take a Gravol while at anchor. That's just wrong!

There is finally a good weather window that appears large enough to get us to the Turks and Caicos by Sat/Sun with overnight stops at the various islands on the way. (I really dislike using the P word, but that's our current Plan.)

At least we've had everything we need while here...Internet, garbage disposal, groceries, the packing house for fresh fruit and veggies... Oh, and this harbour is full of turtles!!! We see at least ten every trip to shore. How lovely!

I don't expect to have Internet over the next few islands, so you will hear from us when we reach Provo!!! 😉


Email sent on:
Feb. 2nd, 2015 - Hello and Good Riddance, Clarence Town!

Hello all,

A quick, very quick, note to say that we are departing Clarence Town in the AM. We will finally get ourselves out of this rolling harbour. Please check the blog for a brief update and some more photos. From my point of view, our stay in this harbour has been less than stellar. The winds have been wild and I am
looking forward to moving on. Once again, a weather window has presented itself.

The next time you hear from us, hopefully we will be in the Turks and Caicos...although you know our thoughts on using the "P" word....Plans. Ugh.

Hope this note finds you all well. We hope to find updates and comments from you all the next time I find an internet connection!

Tony wants you all to know that he has thoroughly enjoyed Clarence Town...and doesn't know what I'm talking about in terms of an awful anchorage! (He also asks me what I'm complaining about when I say that items are sliding off the counters because we are rolling so much...apparently, he doesn't feel the motion. Ugh. I sure do!!!)

Love and Kisses to you all....from the Crew of Inspiration!




Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



31st January 2015

You get up that early?!
31st January 2015

WOW Liza they look fantastic I've been wanting to make these for a long time with not much success maybe you could give an old guy a hint or two lol By the way loveing following your travels you both look as if your having the time of you
life. Keep safe and heathy and full of fun till we meet again God sail with you both love Iain. P.S. Jean has done the Robby Burns for tomorrow night, mmmmmmmmm nice lots of haggis lol
31st January 2015

Hi forgot to give email (burns night thing lol) iainp39551121@yahoo.ca Love Iain & Jean

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb