Amazing snorkeling


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was all about introducing new people to snorkeling. Bruce & Joann Felton and their 11 year old daughter Bella are from our church in Solon. The girls are getting on famously and we're having a great time.

First, to Aqua Windie's to rent equipment. Then to Boca Catalina to find turtles. And we did!!! About a dozen, then over to the area where the boats come in for great variety.

Joann was worried about Bella, but she did great, and by lunch time they returned back to that shop to purchase rather than rent. A dry snorkel like Megan's!!

We rested in the heat of the day, as usual, and then met up at Arashi. Maybe that was too big a jump in difficulty, but I prefer to blame the shop for getting Bella's mask confused - it was too big, so we left the elkhorn coral area quicker than we usually do. But we drove up to the lighthouse for a view of the island, and then to Nos Clubhuis for a sunset dinner together. I feel bad because their Holiday Inn stay is all inclusive. We had the absolute best dinner there - Jean had fish & chips and it was made with GROUPER!! with sweet potato fries. David had wahoo blackened. Megan a steak taco! Lovely sunset.

Today we thought of nephew Bob Treat many many times with prayers and love on our lips as it is the day of Denise's funeral in York. We will see him next the week of July 4th.

We met the Feltons after breakfast, after they had swapped the snorkel mask again - and this time it worked great. We saw about another dozen turtles. One of the big boats whizzed past us on the "inside" and boy did it churn up a wake. But we managed. After the turtles we once again went towards the boat area and into the shallower area.

As you can see we found scorpion fish, a spotted eel, octopus, and many other lovely local residents.

After this morning's snorkel, we stopped at the marina outside the Holiday Inn and booked the girls on a parasail tomorrow at 10. Their combined weight allows them to go together. One adult will go in the boat with them. We think we will meet earlier to let the girls enjoy playing in the sand and surf as they love to do, and which is just too sunny to do after our morning snorkels.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb