Barbuda


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Barbuda's 11 mile beach has to be one of the best in the Caribbean. The name indicates the length and the sand is the softest powder with a hint of pink given by the crustaceans local to here.

It's not that easy to get here, unless you make use of the local hotel's helicopter. To sail here, the wind has to have no north in it otherwise there's an uncomfortable swell. We left Antigua early in the morning to arrive in Barbuda before midday with the sun behind us to ensure that we could navigate through the reefs and shallow water.

The photos help to give an indication about the place. The town doesn't seem to get tourists at all. To get into Codrington there's a two mile boat ride to get past, which was incredibly choppy. The two mile was enough to bring quite a fetch and make the Boston Whaler (motor dinghy) trip quite uncomfortable and a real test on your back.

Still we survived and made it down to the frigate bird sanctuary which was qutie a sight to see.

We'll stay only a few days before heading across the St Barts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb