Barbuda


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

BeachBeachBeach

Picture 11 miles of beach...no houses. Pink sand in spots.
We are still in Barbuda, loved it!!! Talk about speechless, it is one of those times. A wow! And you know there are not too many times I have been speechless. We started our day with Cayuga picking us up, went to beach. We had a local tour of the "Black Frigate Birds". We learned to tell the male from females, the young ones, etc. I got pictures! The males they have this mating call and their chest swells up in red balloon. The females after mating, they feed the males and the young. The males leave in or around May 1 for the Yucatan or Argentina. There is a population of 19000 birds here. The USA comes down once a year to monitor them. The young ones are white turning to black within 2 years, the adult bird weights in around 2 1/2 lbs. The females stay to raise their young. The bird at adult size have a wing width of 6 foot. Unreal!
We saw them, we were within 2 feet of them, they are used to tourist.
Anyhow, the sand is pink in spots and white in the red. The lagoon has fish and langouste, a type of
Our groupOur groupOur group

Sue, Hale, Marsha, Jon, Pete and I
lobster. The lobster cannot be taken by anyone other than locals. The Barbudan"s do not want tourist coming in and buying their land, only way you can get some land is by marriage to a Barbudan or leasing it. A hotel is going in in Low Bay will be open April 29, 1 night equals $3000 US dollars, not including food. The water was rather chilly today. But we did go to the beach in the afternoon to do some shelling and get a sample bottle of pink sand for our kids to see. Lot's of different type shells here, not much sea glass.
We are leaving here at 0500 for ile Fourcher North of St. Bart. Will advise when we arrive there. It is around 69 miles. Non Linear and us traveling together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

HotelHotel
Hotel

Backside on lagoon side
Frigate birdFrigate bird
Frigate bird

Male, they inflate themselves, part of the mating ritual
CayugaCayuga
Cayuga

Halee & Susan
Changing colorsChanging colors
Changing colors

Around 9 months old, they start to change colors. Then you can tell if they are male or females.
Jelly fishJelly fish
Jelly fish

Guide picks them up, upside down.
Pink SandPink Sand
Pink Sand

Did you think I was kidding?


Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb