Beaches and Birthdays


Advertisement
Published: February 7th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Spoiler alert ! Antigua has a lot, and I do mean a lot, of very attractive beaches. We have visited many and stopped on several, often finding a nice spot for a bite of lunch. That was the pattern yesterday for my Birthday. We headed out west to Ffryers (yes, double ‘f’) beach and had several hours in sun and shade with a very stiff breeze at our backs. Luckily this was blowing off shore. If it been the other way round we’d have been sand blasted. Then we had a late lunch at Sheer Rocks, a simply delightful spot overlooking the beach. The prices were sky high, the portions tiny (but delicious), the service pedestrian but it was lovely way to spend 90 minutes. By the time we’d finished it was time to head back to base.
Driving in Antigua is certainly interesting and frankly a bit wearing. The locals want their half of the road to be the bit in the middle. We’ve had several close encounters with trucks, taxis, pedestrians etc. but nothing to worry about. The hour drive back from Ffryers beach left me a bit drained but we turned ourselves around and headed back to Shirley Heights for a second look.

This time we were in time for sunset but there was too much cloud to make it anything special. So we settled in with some happy hour rum punch and enjoyed the reggae band: Survivors. They played a good Bob Marley set, because 6th Feb would have been Bob’s 75th Birthday! Because of the birthday theme the band asked if it was anybody’s birthday.....yes I got a name check and the band played Happy Birthday for me and two others there! All very enjoyable. Then back to English Harbour for a very good meal overlooking the very expensive boats - a lovely way to wrap up a very good Birthday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

House band at Shirley HeightsHouse band at Shirley Heights
House band at Shirley Heights

Celebrating Bob Marley’s birthday
Birthday dinner harbour side at English HarbourBirthday dinner harbour side at English Harbour
Birthday dinner harbour side at English Harbour

Mahi Mahi and a nice glass of Chardonnay


Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb