Phnom Penh- killing fields S21


Advertisement
Asia
January 6th 2016
Published: February 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Phnom penh - emotional journeys, but education at its best!
We travelled from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh for 5 hours on a cramped bus, this is where the killing fields and S21 where Pol Pot massacred thousands of people. Upon arriving we were given a dorm room instead of the 4 bed deluxe room, after complaining numerous times and it falling on deaf ears we gave up and set up base in the lobby. (There was at least room to swing a cat!!!!)We decided after a tour to the markets and around there that we would do the trip to the killing fields and S21 and move on to our next location Sihanouksville.We purchased out tickets for the killing fields costing around $25 each including being driven by a Tuk Tuk driver with audio, we visited the famous place where all the skulls were held with all the bones they found upon discovering what had happened to the poor people of Cambodia during his ruling. The audio was very graphic and so were the scenes. There wasn't much left as in anger the Cambodian people had ripped up the places so little of it left.After a heart wrenching morning we then moved onto the prison where they were held before being taken to the killing fields.After a night in our cramped room we packed up our stuff and got on board.

One of the highlights of the trip was outside our tiny hostel were monkeys in the middle of the city centre hanging on electric wires.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb