Phnom penh day 1


Advertisement
Asia
April 17th 2012
Published: April 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Up early again this morning, for us bus to phnom penh. We had a quick early brekky and were out the front waiting for our pickup at 630.

We were taken to the bus terminal, where it was mass chaos lol, but eventually we were on our bus, the Mekong express and on our way. It took 6 hours and I basically looked out the window the whole way, there was so much to see, all of country Cambodians going about daily life, some of these places were unbelievable. Houses made of straw, thatch, corregated iron, wood, tarps, all tiny little squares mostly with no windows. So many children smiling and waving to us as we drove by, and being the sticky beak I am 6 hours flew by people watching.

The drive was interesting, some of the road way just clay, no tar, there dust flying up everywhere, how the driver could see I'll never know, and as for the poor people next to us on bikes?????

There were cows on the road, bullocks that wandered onto theroad also. We passeda people riding on horses, horses pulling carts, bullocks pulling carts, tractors, a lady with dead chickens hanging off he back of her scooter, mini busses so full of people that there were people riding on the roof, actually this was quite common. I have to say, we were always in awe of this in Thailand it Cambodia far out does it lol.

We arrived in phnom penh and caught took tuk to our hotel, the plantation, which is just gorgeous!!! We arranged with the tuk tuk driver to wait and take us to the killing fields and also S21 genocide museum. Oh. My. God. We were not prepared for what we saw, and it was quite Upsetting. So hard to believe that his was going on, only 20 odd years ago :-((( it was pretty sobering experience, seeing thousands of people's skulls, bones and understanding what happened at these sights. There is still clothing coming up out of the ground now, from those buried there.such an atrocity.

We're now back at the hotel, and thinking out going for some dinner.

Night night

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb