Last little while!


Advertisement
Asia
January 15th 2012
Published: January 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So i haven't updated the blog in a while...

Here is a quick briefing on what we've been doing and where we are.

After Xiamen we went to a place called Guangzhou. Guangzhou didn't have lots of tourist things to do.. but there were a lot of markets. We couchsurfed at someones home, played board games, and waited for our VIetnam visas to process.

We took 2 days and went to Shenzhen which borders with Hong Kong. We couchsurfed there as well with a lovely lady named Ivy. We spent the first night with her realitives eating and drinking. After, Tris went for a traditional Chinese massage with Ivys husband. He even got acupuncture done. I spent the evening talking with Ivy about everything and anything. The 2nd day in Shenzhen we walked around, checked out the markets and its surroundings. I wasn't feeling well as the day before I had high blood sugar. My insulin had gone bad (we chucked out 10 bottles), and the next day my kidneys really hurt when I stood for long periods. In the evening we went with Ivy for a reall delicious dinner, and then her and i had facials while Tris walked around.

We went back to Guangzhou to pick up our visas, and to the train station to buy a ticket to Guilin. Because Chinese new years is coming up its almost next to impossible to get a train ticket anywhere. We got told that tickets were sold out for the next 2 days and to come back tomorrow. They are only selling tickets 2 days in advance... So when we went back the next day it was the same story, tickets were all sold out. We could see this being the case for the next while, so we checked out our options.

A) Fly from Guangzhou to Vietnam - only problem is our visa for Vietnam wasn't valid for 10 days, and it was more then we wanted to spend

or

B) Fly from Guangzhou to Bangkok, and forward to Hanoi....

We chose option B. It was the same price to fly from Guangzhou to Bangkok, and to Hanoi as it was to fly straight from Guangzhou to Hanoi. So we bought a ticket for that night, jumped on the airplane to Bangkok, bought a bus ticket to the South of Thailand and spent a week on Koh Samui enjoying the beach. The weather was pretty good; sunshine with cloudy parts. We got to eat some good thai curries, we met another Canadian and met up with him in the evenings for Shisha and drinks...had thai massages....went back to Bangkok for 2 nights and jumped on a plane to

Hanoi, Vietnam

We checked into Hanoi Emporer Hotel, went and picked up our train tickets from Kangeroo Cafe to go to the farm on the 17th, met up with some old friends for a couple beers on the street and then went to bed at 8pm.

Today we went to Anh's house for a party. His mom and aunt cooked us a meal, invited tons of family over and had a celebration of our return. The food was great, the company as excellent.

On the 17th we head to Phong Nha Farmstay, our favorite place in Vietnam for a couple weeks to relax... then we head to Korea for 3 days before flying back to Vancouver!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Hanoi VietnamHanoi Vietnam
Hanoi Vietnam

I saw a bunch of lades rummaging through piles of lace, flowers, beads,buttons etc by the garbage so i asked if it were free and they said yes, so i joined in on picking things out haha
our welcome back partyour welcome back party
our welcome back party

anh's family thourgh a celebration party for us at their home
CousinsCousins
Cousins

Super cute smile!


Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb