Baguio - Minesview and Bencab museum


Advertisement
Asia
November 7th 2011
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post


Breakfast at the house was delicious vegetarian faken bacon with melted cheese on toast, coffee, and some fresh fruit.

We jumped in a jeepny and headed to Minesview, but it wasn’t what we expected. We thought we’d actually get to explore the mines, but instead it was just a lookout point. There were lots of silly photo opportunities with huge St. Bernard’s’ wearing sunglasses, or white horses with hair dyed pink… we passed on them all.

We were told by many that we had to go to Good Shepard’s and try their purple yam jam (called Ube jam). We didn’t find it that exciting, but bought a jar for our friend in Manila. We enjoyed the calamansi, lemon and strawberry syrup juice.

We caught another jeepny back to Session road and had lunch at Oh My Gulay. It is an artsy restaurant built as a ship, with a beautiful view of Baguio city below. We tried the recommended lumpia salad which was lettuce, and tofu spring rolls.

Walking to find a jeepny to Asin road was difficult. We got pointed in so many different directions. We ended up stumbling upon another market, a bunch of umbrella repair men, and ladies selling food.

Finally we found the correct jeepny and made it to Bencab Museum. Bencab is a local Filipino artist who built a remarkable art museum on the side of a mountain. It is something you’d expect to see in North America, not Baguio. Tris nor I have big art backgrounds, so we walked through admiring the paintings and sculptures, but not really understanding them.

After walking around some more we decided on going to a movie. We saw Puss and Boots. We don’t recommend it. It still floors the both of us that we can go to a movie for $4 each, and order 2 pops, popcorn and 2 hot dogs for $4.

We had dinner at a place called Forest House. I had read about it in a magazine. The restaurant is very cozy with tons of Christmas decorations put up all around. The food and drinks were all very good!



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb