R&R in Kashgar, China - mile 7213


Advertisement
Asia
May 30th 2010
Published: July 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After all of yesterdays effort to get across the Irkeshtam Pass its probably a good thing that we have a few days R&R in Kashgar. Kashgar is well and truly on the backpacker/tourist trail so we are no longer the only white people in town. But this does have its advantages and a lasagne goes down very well after weeks and weeks of plov (rice and meat - well ok rice with bone and grizzle).

Kashgar is a strange town, it has two distinct halves. In the south by the main square you are well and truly in Han China; giant red lanterns round the edge of the square, a big screen broadcasting how wonderful China is, Chairman Moa looking down on you. Yet a few blocks away in the north of town you are transported to a traditional Uyghir town with all the hustle and bustle you'd expect in a Silk Road town. The faces are different, the language is different, the clothes are different its like you are still in Muslim Central Asia - there is a nice buzz to the place. Part of the old town with its narrow alleyways and adobe houses is still standing but
Han Chinese KashgarHan Chinese KashgarHan Chinese Kashgar

the big main square complete with large public broadcast screens, giant red chinese lanterns and marching guards
its being knocked down fast. There are bulldozers everywhere, apparently the Chinese Government are going to provide 'earthquake proof dwellings' as replacements. Its a shame, the old alleyways are full of character and small shops selling everything imaginable, the new apartment blocks are sterile in comparison.

Both halves of the city are heaving with shops selling all sorts of consumer goods - not at all how a communist country should be. There is also a hell of a lot of traffic here; cars, buses, push-bikes, scooters, tuk-tuks and tractor taxis etc. etc. are weaving their way along the wide roads. We are not used to traffic, to cross the 4 lane roads you just look straight ahead and walk and somehow or other the traffic just weaves its way around you. The little electric scooters are the worse they sneak up behind you as you are walking along the pavement then clip you as they whiz past.

Two important events occur in Kashgar. Firstly we get out permit to ride the bike through Tibet. Secondly, after a trip to the hospital for a medical, we get our Chinese driving licence. The medical only consists of an eye test
Uyghir KashgarUyghir KashgarUyghir Kashgar

the muslim quarter - all hustle and bustle with street sellers everywhere
which is a total farce. The illuminated board only contains the letter E but it can be facing in any directions. The person taking the eye test stands behind the line, one eye closed, and points out the direction the E is facing - only everyone else is clustered round them, both eyes open, shouting out the direction. Everyone passes with flying colours!!

Due to our curtailed trip to Kyrgyzstan we have a few extra days here so there's time to explore the surrounding areas; Shipton's Arch (possibly the world largest natural arch at 1200ft), the Taklamakan Desert (600 miles x 250 miles of shifting sand dunes 100m high), and the Karakoram Highway upto Tashkorgan (3600m) and the Pakistan border (it took 20 years to plan and blast the road straight through the mountains from Islamabad to Kashgar). We have to go by mini-bus as our travel permits do not include these roads. There is some stunning scenery but being on a bus you suddenly realise how much more you see on the bike. On the bike you feel part of the scenery, in the bus you are just looking at it through a window. Everytime you arrange something you have to double check if its Beijing time or local time. Things are supposed to run on Beijing time but Beijing is over 4000 miles away so its not totally appropriate here.

The main attraction in Kashgar is the Sunday livestock market when everyone from the surrounding villages comes into town. There's a constant flow of trucks carrying all kinds of animal; fat bottomed sheep, cows, donkeys, camels. The fat-bottomed sheep seem to require a lot of attention and the owners are carefully grooming them so they look their best - some look more like poodles them sheep!! In amongst all the animals is the most wonderful array of weather beaten faces, hats and beards. It all well organised with sections for each type of animal and there's lots of selling and buying going on. A deal seems to be agreed, money is handed over but then another big round of negotiating seems to take place before the final shake of hands.

On our way back from the market we stumble across a traditional food festival. The camel, that has been roasting for 12 hours, is just being hoisted out of the clay oven by a crane
the old townthe old townthe old town

full of character but .....
and is dangling 50ft above the crowds. We muscle in and end up on national TV being given the first taste - it actually tastes quite good, but not as good as the whole cow that emerged from the second oven.

After 5 days R&R we are ready to hit the road again. Our next challenge is to get up onto the Tibetan Plateau. There is only one road and it climbs from 1300m to 4996m in 100 odd miles and then we will have to sleep at 3800m - not at all ideal from an altitude sickness point of view. To avoid altitude sickness they recommend 2 rest days after each 1000m altitude gain and above 3000m only ascend 400m per day - not quite what we are doing but its that road or nothing. Plus its will be 4 days before we get to the next main town and the luxury of running water and toilets!! Fingers crossed!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

the old townthe old town
the old town

.... currently being demolished to be replaced with earthquake proof apartment blocks
The Karakorum HighwayThe Karakorum Highway
The Karakorum Highway

a sand storm sweeping across the valley
The Karakorum HighwayThe Karakorum Highway
The Karakorum Highway

Karakul Lake & the Karakorums
The Karakorum HighwayThe Karakorum Highway
The Karakorum Highway

yaks grazing on the Pamir Plateau (3000m)
The Karakorum HighwayThe Karakorum Highway
The Karakorum Highway

the 1500 year old fort at Tashkorgan - the plains below are dotted with yaks and Tajik yurts. Pakistan is only 30 miles away.
freshly roasted camel!freshly roasted camel!
freshly roasted camel!

we were the first to taste it and were filmed by China National TV
Shipton's ArchShipton's Arch
Shipton's Arch

it was much bigger than it looks, I couldn't get it all on the photo. At 1200ft its supposedly the tallest natural arch in the world
a Chinese eye testa Chinese eye test
a Chinese eye test

not too difficult to pass when everyone is standing round shouting out the answers


13th July 2010

Wow
What an adventure, the pictures and commentary are perfect and once again my whole team are with you on this adventure, waiting for the next instalment with bated breath - what will happen next - Tibet or bust! Brilliant - thank you.
15th July 2010

Shipton's Arch
Fantastic ventures and insight....... but the name of arch seems very anglicsized!Would be very difficult to get such a giant in photo with evident scale.......... enjoy the remainder of your journey.............David & Di
16th July 2010

just like yesterday
hi lorrine and edwin. After saw your blog, I remember your trip in China. So many vivid faces appeared in my eye. I miss you, I wait for see more good pictures and articles from you. your chinese tourguide john

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb