L'hopital Francais Hanoi! And a Thank you to Cat and Phil!


Advertisement
Asia
May 19th 2010
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After wishing we had more time in Vietnam throughout our journey north to Hanoi, we have found a way to stay longer. Unfortunatly, this doesn't allow us to make our way up to Sapa, an area in the north of the country which looks stunning and a great base for trekking, nor does it allow us to visit the Red River Delta and spend some nights on a floating homestay. Instead we get to experience healthcare Vietnam style! 

The small red area on Fay's leg, first spotted in Hoi An, has balloned up into an angry yellow, red and black bump by the end of our Ha Long Bay trip. It's causing her considerable discomfort, so much so that Fay struggles to walk. The small complaint about the little red mark in Hoi An, recieved little sympathy from me, but now the pain is etched all over Fay's face. 

When the four of us return to Hanoi, we make our way straight to the Hanoi French hospital. Expecting a swift  resolution to the problem, we are all shocked when Fay is told she will need to stay in. Thank goodness we had Cat and Phil with us, Phil had the task of reassuring Fay, while Cat kept me calm during as I hastily called the insurance company. Phil was lucky enough to experience Fays love of needles! 

After being rushed up to a ward, not fully understanding the problem, Fluent French speaker Phil seeks out a doctor to reassure a frantic Fay!  An abcess is the diagnosis, antibiotic drip is the treatment. One night with a drip, next day go home with tablets! 

Oh how wrong that was! 

After a restless first night, as Fays body soaks in the antibiotics and drip after drip is changed. We wake to the news that another night is needed, and maybe a small operation. Cat and Phil pop in to see us for the last time before their flight to China. They both seem as flabberghasted as us that fay will be kept in again. 

Although progress has been made, the leg still looks terrible. After one night with a bed, I am now confined to the floor or a chair! The next morning the doctors, who are masters of breaking bad news in small portions, tell us two more nights are needed! If anything, by this stage, the
Fay leg issues captivate audience!Fay leg issues captivate audience!Fay leg issues captivate audience!

During an unplanned stop, due to a flat tyre - at Ha Long Bay
bump was looking bigger, but the swelling on Fay's ankle had disappeared. Another night of antibiotic drip, and the 3am alarm as the flow of the drip ceased.

The sound of the alarm and the discomfort of sleeping on the floor is hard to bare, although my complaints are only minor compared to the pain that Miss Winning must be feeling. Unable to move, stuck in a hospital bed, unable to wash and the with most massive hair I have ever seen! Something with causes Fay more upset than her leg, as her hair tangled into one Large knot! "I'm going to have it all cut off arent I?" said a tearful Fay.... "Will you still love me when I'm Bald?" more tears follow!

We arrived in the Hospital on Thurday night, and by Monday morning it was finally demeed necessary to take an exhausted Fay into surgery. After about 2 hours of surgery and rest, Fay finally reappeared from the theatre. Looking dazed and confused, she didnt even notice i was with her as she made her way back to her isolation room!

After another night in hospital, it was clear to see why all the fuss was so necessary. The doctor informs us that a very deep cleaning was necessary during the opperation. His words didnt mean that much to us until the bandages were removed. I will spare the details, but when the doctor said deep he meant it, he really meant it! The abcess has since been replaced with a hole about 5 cms wide, a sight so grusome Fay has to tell me not to look. (For fear that i might faint, as i suddenly appear as white as a ghost!).

After our fifth and final night, and one more bandage change, Fay is finally able to discharge from hospital. A bill of 84,303,000 Vietnamese dong ($4,600) is presented to us, and our passports held until the insurance is settled.

After a week in Captivity, the heat and humidity, is all too much for Fay.... and we seek solace in the Vietnamese equivallent of Starbucks!

A miniscule siverlining!



Although the pain and the tears of the past week may be something Fay will want to forget in a Hurry. Our week stopover in Hospital did save us from boarding our flight on the 15th to Bangkok..... Something not even worth contemplating considering the current ongoing bloodshed in Thailands Capital.

Instead, our route home goes something like this.......

Hanoi to Kuala Lumpur (23rd May) >>>> Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong (25th May) >>>> Hong Kong to Heathrow (2nd June, not the 3rd as Miss Winning may have told you!)

Special Mentions



A big thank you to Cat and Phil for looking after us in those first few hours! And thank you for providing great company as we travelled through Vietnam! 

Thank you to all of you back home who have sent your love and best wishes. Especially parents who have helped with flights and insurance!

Thank you to Air Asia to refunding our flight money (3 times!)

Thank you to the Doctors and nursing staff for putting up with us!! I'm sure the nurses will miss Fay's english language classes!!

Love to all,

Chris and Fay! X 

  

Advertisement



22nd May 2010

No wooden stump then, I'll get my refund for the parrot.
Hey Guys, awesome news you made it out of the hospital with 4 legs and 2 passports. Did you get a photo of the crater? Still missing your company here on the tour, you'd have loved the cold temperatures at 4500M today! Cat wants to know two things. 1. How long did the 'knot' take to brush out? and 2. Can you please send me a copy of the first status Fay wrote on facebook after leaving hospital (or while in hospital) as we don't have access! enjoy the rest of your travels and we'll email you the pics we have of the hospital visit when we can. Love Cat and Phil. xx

Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0969s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb