HUNZA PAKISTAN


Advertisement
Asia
May 12th 2010
Published: May 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hunza Valley in SummerHunza Valley in SummerHunza Valley in Summer

View of Hunza Valley from Duikar 3000M, highest point of the Valley
HUNZA VALLEY - PAKISTAN
“The Himalayan Shangri La”
Hunza is the high mountain valley of the Karakoram, which contains may small villages, located in the extreme north part of Pakistan bordering with China and Wakhan Corridor of Afghanistan. It spreades along the Hunza River right up to its source at Khunjerab Pass (4733M), “Roof of the World”. The Karakoram Highway (KKH) comes through this Pass and follows the bank of Hunza River to Danyor, where Hunza River joins the Gilgit River, then joins Indus River that comes from Skardu Baltistan. Hunza was formally independ state ruled by an old dynasty of Mirs, to-day is a newly district with Nagar Valley (Hunza-Nagar) in Gilgit-Baltistan of Pakistan.

Hunza Valley has three main areas!
1-The Lower Hunza, the areas from Khizerabad Village to Nasirabad, towards the Gilgit, is mainly inhibited by the Shiniki and here the people speak Shina language.
2-The Central Hunza, the area from Murtazaabad to Attabad Village is called Central Hunza, is mainly inhabited by Burushoski speaking people.
3-The Upper Hunza, also known as Gojal, the area from Ayeenabad village to the Khunjerab, mainly populated by the Wakhi people.

The territory of Hunza Valley is around 7900 square kilometre
Altit VillageAltit VillageAltit Village

View of Altit Village, one of the oldest villages in Hunza Valley
with population about 65000 inhabitants. The settlement of Hunza people is basically located on river terraces and alluvial fans, mountains and glaciers cover most of the area. Hunza hosts some of the longest glaciers outside the polar belt. Their snouts come down to very low elevation almost touching the valleys bottoms. Some of the important glaciers are Batura Glacier, Passu Glacier, Gulkin Glacier, Malangute Glacier, Ultar etc. Melting of the ice and snow is the major source of draining water. Due to high altitude some of the rivers flow with strong force and cut deep valleys and gorges. The large numbers of the population around 85 percent are involved in the tourism business directly and indirectly and few are engaged with government jobs and NGOs. The economy of the Valley is largely depends over the tourism, subsistence agriculture and livestock rearing. Fruits are also most important crops, apricots, apples, cherry, peaches, grapes and mulberry are some of the famous fruits in the Valley. Potatoes are the main crop of the Valley to easily sell in the market to earn some money and this crop is now more popular in the Valley.


TOURISTIC PLACES IN AND AROUND THE HUNZA
Baltit FortBaltit FortBaltit Fort

View of Baltit Fort 800 yeas old that has been restored by the Aga Khan Culture Services


KARIMABAD (2500M), the capital of Hunza is the only town in the world, where you may view five peaks above 7000M in all four directions. The Mount Rakaposhi 7788M, Diran 7256M, Golden Peak 7027M, Ultar- I 7388M, and Ultar -II 7310M with princess Bobulimuting reaches as Hunza skyline. In Karimabad, you will explore the Hunza Valley and neighbouring areas see the daily life of hard-work people. The Baltit Fort is former palace of Mirs (Rulers) of Hunza until 1960, which is recently restored by Aga Khan Trust for Culture. The Altit Fort that is 900 years old (now restoring, can see from out) was built by the people of Baltistan. When Queen of Baltistan was married to the prince of Hunza, as a presentation they built this Fort, which is on cliff of the Ruby Marble rock. It is also worth to visit Ganish Fort.

ULTAR MEADOW 3280M, is around 3hrs walk from Karimabad to Ultar Nala and 770M ascent, with good views peaks located in Nagar Valley. There is campingsite here can do the camp, below the herders huts at Ultar, a rock wall usually keeps livestock, out of established camping area.

DUIKAR-ALTIT, is around one
Altit Fort 900 years oldAltit Fort 900 years oldAltit Fort 900 years old

View of Altit Fort that is 900 years old
hour drive from Karimabad on new metalled road that is highest point (3000M) of the Valley which gives majestic views of the mountains and valleys in 360 degree angle (in all the direction). This is the most magnificent view point, sunset and sunrise views are remarkable and incredible, which is the especial attraction of this place, if weather is clean. You can have the views of Mountain, surrounding glaciers, Hunza River, Karakoram Highway, Altit and Baltit Forts, and valley of Nagar and Hunza Valleys. The views in the moonlight and walking in the moonlight are unforgetable. There is a hotel and restaurant, Eagle Nest, is the most popular in the Valley and can have also Hunza local food.

HOPAR-NAGAR is located in Nagar Valley, just across the Karimabad, one of touristic place in Nagar Valley and starting point of some trekking routes in the region of Nagar Valley. There are some restaurants and hotels here, is around 1 and half hour drive from Karimabad and that lies along the Bualtar Glacier, south-west margin, can walk on the glacier.

GULMIT VILLAGE is the old capital of the Upper Hunza- Gojal. The meaning of the Gulmit in local language is
View of Passu CathederalsView of Passu CathederalsView of Passu Cathederals

View of Passu Catherderals, alos known as Passu Cones
a nest amidst the followers and it is like that as it blooms in the spring season with the blossoms of fruit trees and variety of the flowers that stay in the whole summer. There is local cultural museum with unique collection of Hunza History, music instruments, maps, gems and that is worth to visit this museum. Walking in the village is great experience of cultural value and easily mixes up with the local population.

BORITH LAKE, is about 1.5 km off the Karakoram Highway, link road from the Hussani Village, here you may enjoy seeing the migratory birds that come here from as far as Siberia, lakes receives glacier water in the summer. This is also starting point of the some treks. This is quite place and possibility to walk around here, also there is small restaurant.

PASSU VILLAGE, sits between the Passu and Batura Glaciers along the Hunza River’s true right west bank, is the centre of the real trekking in Gojal. This village is famous to have trekking to Passu Glacier and on Batura Glacier, which is 4th longest and largest Glacier in the world, here 95 percent people are involved with tourism directly and
View of Diran Peak 7256M View of Diran Peak 7256M View of Diran Peak 7256M

View of Diran Peak from Karimabad, this peak is located in Nagar Valley just across the Karimabad-Hunza
indirectly. Here is famous suspension bridge on the Hunza River that is 30 minutes walking distance at the end of village is Tupoqdan peak that inspires by its unique structure. From the Karakoram Highway can have very close view of Passu and Batura Glaciers, those touching their snouts to down village!

The CHUPURSAN VALLEY, is consists of 11 villages with 300 householders, 70km long valley, running along the top of the country, parallel to the Chinese and Afghanistan borders. This valley is still not much discovered, so long and it connects via a number of passes to so many other valleys. We can enter from Sost (from Karakoram Highway) and passing through many small settlements, the end point is BABA GHUNDI, also called Baba ghundi Ziarat, this is the pasture and where jeep able road ends. The Baba Ghundi Ziarat, a small shrine said to contain the sword and holy books of the preacher from the Tajik village of Ghund who entered Chupursan Valley from Afghanistan in 16th century. There are two famous passes from Baba Ghundi, one is Irshad Pass to Afghanistan and Chillinj Pass to Chitral along to Wakhan Corridor.

SHIMSHAL VALLEY is the remotest area
The Pamir YakesThe Pamir YakesThe Pamir Yakes

Yakes in teh Shimshal Valley-Pamir
of the Hunza, from Karakoram Highway at Passu there is link road of 53 kilometres through the narrow gorge along the Shimshal River leads to a wide valley. The main Shimshal village is at the elevation of 3100M in Karakoram Range. To the north and north east of Shimshal lies Chinese Turkistan, to the south east Baltistan, to the south Nagar and to the west Gojal. The population of Shimshal is approximately 1400 of Wakhi speaking. This remotest village of Hunza has become accessible by jeep able road in October 2003. The area is well known for its tradition and culture, can visit to local traditional houses, walk around the villages and meet with local population. This is starting place for many trekking and climbing expeditions to high mountains. It is home of many strong and experienced high altitude porters and Pakistani mountaineers.

KHUNJERAB PASS 4733 M, “Roof of the World” the border between China and Pakistan, highest border crossing on paved road in the world. It was opened to official traffic in August 1982 and tourism in May 1986. All water on Pakistani side flows down to the Indian Ocean through Indus River while that from Chinese side
View of Batura WallView of Batura WallView of Batura Wall

Camping on Batura Glacier-Passu Hunza
is swallowed by the Taklimakan Desert in Tarim Basin. There is Khunjerab National Park, can get chance to see the Himalaya Ibex, Himalayan marmots as well as yaks. From Sost the Kuksil the road passes in narrow gorge, Kuksil is the place where police check post before going up to Pass and gives very beautiful view of snow capped mountains.

For tour and jeep safaris the suitable period is from end of March to end of October and two seasons are very famous to visit this valley, one is apricot blossom from end of March to end of April and autumn season mid of September to end of October. Trekking and for the climbing expeditions the suitable period is June to end of October. The valley is connected with Islamabad by road, Karakoram Highway and by flight 1hrs flight to Gilgit then 3 hrs drive to Hunza Valley. It is also connected to China via Khunjerb Pass to Tashkurgan-Kashgar by KKH, so you may also enter by this route. There is bus service from Rawalpindi to Hunza Aliabad daily and also from Kashgar and Tashkurgan-China to Hunza-Sost via Khunjerab Pass 4733M, after the 1st May, because border opens on
A jeep on the roadA jeep on the roadA jeep on the road

A jeep on the road to Shimshal Valley
1st May normally.

TREKKING IN HUNZA AND NAGAR VALLEY

Hunza- Passu Batura Trek
Hunza-Borite-Padundas Trek
Hunza Shimshal- Pamir Trek
Hunza Shimshal-Chupchungol
Hunza Shimshal-Lupgar BC
Hunza Kilik and Mintika Trek
Nagar- Minapin Rakaposhi Trek
Nagar- Rush Lake Trek
Nagar- Golden Peak BC
Nagar-Suymmar Pass Trek

RECENT SITUATION OF HUNZA VALLEY:
There is very huge landslide in this valley on 4th January 2010 that engulfed 19 people and many more people became homeless. Up to now 232 houses went under the water, people were using boats for the transportation to cross the lake. Now water of the lake overtopped by the spill way and already ersion has been started through the spill way. Now the lenth of lake is 28 Km, strenched up to the Passu village. The level of water remains almost same as the water enters the lake from the mountain and almost the same quantinty of water discharges by the spillway. The maximium height of the lake is around 370 feets.

The Karakoram Highway is repairing by the Chinese people, so the condition of the road is not good between Hunza and Gilgit, it takes more time than before around 5 hrs, and normally it
Ultar Peak 7238MUltar Peak 7238MUltar Peak 7238M

View of Ultar Peak II 7238M from Ahmedabad Side (Ridge)
was 3hrs. The Chinese are working on the road.


NORTH PAKISTAN ADVENTURE
Trekking, Tours and Expeditions
Tel: 0092-51-2535766
Fax: 0092-51-2855440
Mobile: 0092-333-5276586
northpak@isb.comsats.net.pk
northpakistan@dsl.net.pk
ishaq_jan@yahoo.com
www.north-pakistan.com




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

A family from Upper HunzaA family from Upper Hunza
A family from Upper Hunza

A Wakhi family from Chupursan Valley
Yak carvan on Batura GlacierYak carvan on Batura Glacier
Yak carvan on Batura Glacier

Yak Carvan during the Kouch on Batura-Passu
A face from Hunza ValleyA face from Hunza Valley
A face from Hunza Valley

A face of Hunza on the Karakoram Highway
Trucks in Hunza ValleyTrucks in Hunza Valley
Trucks in Hunza Valley

Trucks on Karakoram Highway
Shimshal White Horn 6400MShimshal White Horn 6400M
Shimshal White Horn 6400M

View of Shimshal White Horn 6400M
Newly formed lake in HunzaNewly formed lake in Hunza
Newly formed lake in Hunza

Due to huge lanslide a lake has been formed in Hunza Valley
Drying Apricots in HunzaDrying Apricots in Hunza
Drying Apricots in Hunza

Famous fruit of the Valley " Apricots"


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb