Salalah, Oman


Advertisement
Asia
March 21st 2006
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

March 21st, 2006,
Day 75 of our cruise of 105
Sea day on the Arabian Sea in the Gulf of Aden
Yesterday Salalah, Oman

In India, we paid 1$ for a taxi to town- we were docked around the corner.
Yesterday, the going rate was 25$ to drive 16 miles to town as the commercial pier is way off. Salalah town is clean and very quiet as everybody has a job; not vibrant like some other countries with higher unemployment.

We hired a cab with Mary and Robin, they have traveled extensively and worked abroad, we learn continuously from them and listen to their advice. Robin is our fearless leader, the MAN whom some people listen to exclusively; in some cultures, some men guide won’t speak to me, they don’t even pretend to hear me, I have to ask questions through the men, better yet through Robin, our chief negotiator). Yesterday, Robin negotiated a flat rate for a 6 hours taxi drive to tour the town and the sites around. When he realized that the driver was not adhering to the plan, he had to restate the plan (forcefully), it involved much discussion between the two, to the point of Terry getting out of the car and the girls being told to evacuate- never happened, the driver agreed to follow our plan and the day was a success without extra payment! And we hear the hassle factor has not even climaxed yet, it should in Egypt!
I hope you enjoy the pictures, my favorite is the camel BBQ- greasy and stringy but a new experience. I did not include the picture of the Tomb of Nabi Imram, the father of Mary, mother of Jesus. We had a fit of the giggles in that mausoleum because it is 3 feet wide(ok) and 60 feet long(bit tall???)- it was explained that his regular tomb is between one end and the other but that they are not sure exactly where.

Hello my children, hello granny. - thank you for the news

News from home, from B, son #1: “….All is well, CBC's Cory O'Kelly was here today filming an Exhibition basho for a segment on the National ( hah ) which should run Wednesday or Thursday this week. D son #2 messaged me to say that Minou(my cat) was back and that he won't be allowed out of the house again until you're back to pick him up. Granny was great today with all the excitement….”

Ttys, love to all





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb