Day 14 and 15


Advertisement
Asia
December 19th 2009
Published: December 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrived safe and well in Hoi An, which is very different to where we have previously been in Vietnam. Our hotel is good and cheap (Phuoc An River Hotel) and has great views of the neighbouring rice fields, fully equipped with ducks, buffallo and geese.

Went into the old part of Hoi An yesterday and did the tourist thing - ate the local dish, looked at the Japanese bridge (circa 1750), went to a 300 year old house which is still occupied by the 7th generation, and got measured up at the market tailor. Dan's getting 2 new suits and 5 business shirts, I'm getting a few pairs of shorts and tops and the kids are getting a winter outfit each.

We were poached from the place we had lunch by a fun ny and friendly 'Vietnamese Australian' (Tam) to come and look at her shop and ended up spending an hour getting shoulder massages, foot massages, kids nails painted, iced coffees - and we only went for a look! The funniest thing though was Tam told Dan his ear hairs were too long, as were his eyebrows and nose hairs, so she pulls out this sewing string, twists it and starts pulling the hairs from Dan's ear in a rolling motion. He cried as it hurt and the kids and I killed ourselves laughing. Then Dan asked her to do my eyebrows............OMG painfull, but quick and effective. Dan's ears are now bald and he has brilliant eyebrows and nose hairs!

Today has been very windy and rainy and a little cool even. Started the day with a cooking class here at the hotel with the head chef. Went to the markets (local markets, not touristy one) and purchased fresh herbs etc for our class. Then it was back to the hotel to make spring rolls, squid salad and pork in clay pot. Kids enjoyed cooking, but Dan was the real star of the lesson - he sliced and fried and generally had a great time. Needless to say the lunch we cooked was FANTASTIC.

Bit over the hard sell here in Hoi An, lots more tourists here than anywhere else we have been and the locals are all over it. Caitlin and Fred are certainly over everyone touching them too.

In the room this arvo as too miserable outside for much. Hoping to visit My Son tomorrow and pick up our new clothes (will need to buy another suitcase too).

Also included in this blog are photos pertaining to last blog that didn't upload.


Additional photos below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tam feeding FredTam feeding Fred
Tam feeding Fred

So funny, he ate it all too - even the greens.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb