Koh Samet


Advertisement
Asia
December 16th 2009
Published: December 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Travelled to Koh Samet in air conditioned minibuses which was a nice change. Stopped at starbucks on the way for a toasted BLT on brown malted bread! We took a ferry from Rayong pier to the island which took about 40 minutes as it was a slow boat very old and rickety. They threw your luggage from the jetty to the boat and I was really worried they were going to drop mine into the sea! When we were dropped off at the island my mosi repellent fell out of the bag and as I bent down to get it the weight of my backpack pulled me off balance and I ended up on the floor!

The guest house was sparse and we decided to nick name it the 'prison cell' as there were bars on the window and the walls were just brown bricks, although it was clean and bug free.

We spent the rest of the day discovering our area and went for cheap cocktails in the afternoon that were really strong! Under the influence of the cocktails we then joined a thai boxing lesson for free.

All our meals were at a club/bar/restaurant called ploy. The food was amazing every meal and on an evening they did a BBQ. The salads, jacket potatoes and garlic bread were especially good! I also ate loads of fresh seafood and fish that week which was great. You sat on cushions on the beach around tables which initially seems great, but you get sandy and bitten a lot by mites in the sand.

Our waiter was cambodian and spoke with a cockney accent which was quite amusing. After dinner the waiters did a fire shown with sticks, bottles, balls and fireworks. Amazing to watch and I got some great pictures.

As our waiter liked me we got free buckets and cocktails all evening so it was a good night!

Monday was a relaxing day at the beach and we spent the evening at ploy again. T (our waiter) had the live band dedicate a song to me , very embarressing as everyone in the restaurant was staring at me. He also gave me an earring and cuddly toy which I conveniently left in the guesthouse.

Tuesday
Spent the morning at a secluded cove just the four of us sunbathing and swimming which was very relaxing. After lunch the waiters attempted to teach us how to firedance funnily enough they wouldn't let us use anything on fire. It was Nana (a bartender from the open air club) 25th birthday so we went to his party that consisted of a lot of whisky drinking, which I wasn't so keen on, Kim however . . . .

Wednesday was boat trip day which was funny for some people considering the night before! Catherine and I jumped off the side of the boat from the top deck which was really high and quite scary. We tried snorkelling for a bit but the visibility was crap so we tried swimming for the beach but we were stung by jellyfish! After a lunch of BBQ'D kebabs you could try traditional thai fishing but we decided to just sleep in teh sun. We stopped again at another place for more snorkelling and we fed the fish rice. When we were back on the boat we had the red snapper that had been caught earlier freshly BBQ'd and it was amazing! We then went to a fish farm that also had sharks and turtles I was really worried that I would fall in as the plank you had to walk on was think and rickety.

That evening was party night at ploy and we played games on the beach, we also met 2 ausi guys & a girl and a couple of brits that we partied with till 4am!

Spent Thursday chilling and the evening at ploy again. In the afternoon we got our names tattooed in thai on various body parts, was very painful but didn't hurt once done.

Spent Friday with Ausi's & company on the beach swimming and chatting. In the evening we met the ausi's at M bar which shows films, so we watched 2012, which is a rubbish film! After we went for coffe and cake at the 24 hour bakery!

Saturday morning we went back on the rickety ferry and headed for Bangkok. Lunch was pasta a great change from rice. Our room this time had a lounge area. In the room we heard really loud music so I looked out the window and there was a huge festival taking place to mark the end of the Kings birthday celebrations. There was a stage with a band on and loads of people and lights, lots of fun!

Spent the afternoon/evening shopping at the MBK Centre, which is a huge mall with 7 floors including a 'market' floor. Spent $20 and a bought a lowe alpine backpack, haviana flip flops, harem pants, an anklet and a chang top! Finished the evening off at Kho Sahn watching fireworks!

At a really slow connection internet so can't upload any pictures unfortunately!

Advertisement



18th December 2009

Merry Christmas
Dear Kirstie and Kim, Mandy told us you had a blog so I thought I'd take the oportunity to say hi and wish you a very merry christmas. We've just broken up from school and I really wish I was in Thailand which would be a lot warmer. Jane's just popped in and says that over Christmas she will get a time slot to say hi as well. Enjoy the trip - I'm jealous! Happy new year Pauline
1st January 2010

Pauline
Thanks for getting in contact. It has been an amazing trip so far and we've found it to be even better when you get to know the locals! I have emailed Jane a few times on her school email but it was after school had broken up so she may not have gotten them yet! Looking forward to travelling up the east coast with the locals on Monday. Hope the new year is good for you and the new term. Kirstie

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb